One of the questions we get asked most frequently in emails from our readers is, “what is your schedule usually like working on the site full-time?” Apparently some of you are curious what we spend our time doing, so today we thought that just for fun, we’d share what a typical day for us is like. Some people think bloggers work in their pajamas all day long while watching TV and writing at the same time. For serious full-time bloggers like ourselves, we can tell you that’s definitely not the case!
- 6:00 AM – The alarm goes off and like some of you, on occasion, the snooze button does get pressed once or twice. Especially on the bitterly cold days that we’ve been experiencing lately!
- 6:20 AM – Walk across the street to the gym (yes, it’s rather convenient) for a workout.
- 7:15 AM – Come home from the gym, shower, and begin working
Usually we spend the first two hours of the day searching through about 500 different feeds and around 10,000-20,000 feed items looking for what we feel is the best news, or the news that would appeal to our readers the most. Surprisingly, there are many days that after going through all of the news, we find little to nothing that catches our attention that’s worth writing about.
- 9:00 AM- Around this time we start the actual writing. Ryan starts with the Daily Download article (which he manually puts together every day) while I usually start with the first “news” article.
- 10:00 AM – Our first article usually posts around this time, and then we go back to the feeds or our email to check for breaking news. From this time until around noon, we continue working on the daily articles.
- 12:00 PM – Lunch! We got into the bad habit of working while we eat lunch, so it’s no real break here.
- Until 3:00 PM – this is usually the time we’re done writing the daily articles for the site, but our day isn’t over quite yet!
Depending on the day, different things happen at 3:00:
- Mondays: we perform general maintenance to the site, go over advertising opportunities, catch up with email, etc.
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays: This is the time that we write our CyberNotes Articles for the following week. On Tuesdays Ryan does his Time-Saving Tuesday article for the following week while I work on the Fun Friday Article. On Wednesday’s Ryan works on the Web-Browser Wednesday article (again, for the following week) while I work on the Weekend Website article. On Thursdays, Ryan completes the Tutorial Thursday article while I work on the Microsoft Monday article.
- Fridays: This is the day that we write the extra articles that are posted on the weekend so that we can have weekends mainly off.
We’re usually done with those tasks from anywhere between 5:00 PM and 7:00 PM. At this point we stop working, eat dinner, and relax for an hour or two, and then around 9 or 10 PM right before we go to bed, we’ll go back and reply to comments that readers have left on the site and in the forum, and visit and comment on other sites as well. Some days we get done earlier than others, it just depends on what’s going on in the news that day and how long our CyberNote’s articles take us.
So there you have it, a typical CyberNet workday. It’s fun, challenging, and busy, but we are enjoying it!