Back in early June, Adobe released Acrobat 9 with Flash and said that Reader 9 would be coming soon. Just yesterday it was released and it’s available for download (for free). It will allow users to open, view, search, and print PDF files. Because Acrobat 9 allows users to embed Flash content into the PDF, Reader 9 allows user to view the Flash content. Users will also be able to play shockwave animation, and additional rich media content right within the Reader.
Other Features Include:
- Faster launch speeds (thankfully!)
- Real-time zooming and panning
- Portfolios enable you to work with materials like email messages, spreadsheets, videos as a single file, and drawings (this makes distribution, storage, retrieval, and collaboration a little easier for users)
- As mentioned, Native Adobe Flash support
- Easy access to Acrobat.com (remember, Adobe’s new Online Office Suite)
- New digital signature functionality
For the general population, the most important feature is going to be the faster launch speeds. It’s not hard to forget the days of Adobe Reader taking ages to load. We installed it and it definitely seemed quite a bit faster, but that is due to the fact that they have a Speed Loader start-up with your computer. It’s called reader_sl.exe and takes up about 2 MB of memory, but makes Adobe Reader load almost instantaneously.
Just note that they only have versions of Adobe Reader 9 available for Mac and Windows right now. Download Adobe Reader 9 Here…