app store purchase.pngAshley and I have finally gotten around to purchasing a few games from the App Store for our new iPhones. One thing that we were wondering about was how Apple handled a situation where you bought an app, and were just trying to download it again. It turns out that when you try to repurchase an application the device displays a prompt saying “You have already purchased this item. To download it again for free, select OK.

That’s convenient, but it also has another nice purpose. After I saw this I decided to setup Ashley’s iTunes account to use my iTunes credentials, which I had already used to buy Super Monkey Ball. She then went to the App Store on her iPhone, found Super Monkey Ball, entered in my iTunes password, and was prompted to freely download the game “again”. That means we were able to purchase the game once, and actually get it on both of our iPhones!

Similarly I’ve read that if you sync multiple iPhones or iPod Touches with a single computer the apps will also be transfered to each of them. As far as limitations go I wasn’t able to find any, but one of my friends said that he read you can do this for up to 5 devices using a single iTunes account. For families that own several iPhones and/or iPod Touches this makes the cost of an application seem a little more reasonable. I know I’ll be buying a lot more since both Ashley and myself can “share” our purchases.

1. I don’t want to sound rude but we all learned that 9 days ago when the App Store launched.

2. speak for yourself, dude.

3. JK wrote:
    speak for yourself, dude.

I agree as I did not hear of this until it was posted here.

4. Michael wrote:

You have to realize that we don’t read exactly the same websites. I
    enjoyed the post, and am sure many others did as well.

It would be better if next time you speak for yourself. Good Day!
    8O

5. No offense, but I hope you do realize that this sort of blog posts gets Apple to think “That’s not good, we need to add more restrictions!”.

Enjoy it while you can. :)

6. Michael wrote:

We don’t know what people read, so we have to assume that some may not have read tips such as this. We don’t guarantee that everything we write will be useful to everybody, but we do our best to make it useful for most.

Pieter wrote:

Enjoy it while you can. :)

It is quite possible, although I don’t know that it would be worth it to them to do such a thing with all of the complaints and problems they’d have to deal with.

7. Michael wrote:

I’d be curious to know where else this info was published? I went searching for the answer before I experimented with this, and I couldn’t find anything. So I bought an app to verify that two separate computers could get the same app under one account. Sure people realized that you could redownload apps, but what about using them on multiple devices?

Pieter wrote:

Nah. I don’t think Apple will change this. They want to make families want to buy more apps, and this is the sort of thing that will do just that. It’s not like people are going to go around sharing their iTunes account with just anyone.

8. “No offense, but I hope you do realize that this sort of blog posts gets Apple to think “That’s not good, we need to add more restrictions!”.

Apple is in the business of selling devices. Sure they get revenues off of apps purchased too but this way it gets families to buy more Apple devices (iPhone, iPod, iPad). Then they also get more revenue from the ads because there are more eyeballs now.