PDFforge.org is an open source project dedicated to forging PDFs. Because it is open source, you’re able to look at the source to ensure that there’s no spyware in it. You can also add to the software, or take away features that aren’t needed. One of their projects, PDFCreator is a great, free way to create PDFs from almost any Windows app. Here are some of the key features:
- Create PDFs from any program that is able to print
- Security: Encrypt PDFs and protect them from being opened, printed, etc.
- Send generated files via email
- Create more than just PDFs- PNG, JPG, TIFF, BMP, PCX, PS, EPS
- AutoSave files to folders and filenames based on Tags
- Merge multiple files into one PDF
- Easy Install: Just say what you want and everything is installed
- Terminal Server: PDFCreator also runs on Terminal Servers without problems
Being able to create more than just PDFs is a great feature to have. There are plenty of people who are unfamiliar with a PDF, or may not have a PDF reader. In those instances, it would be easy to create an image instead. The other feature that really stands out is the capability to print from any program that has the print option. The screenshot above demonstrates the available features when saving a file in PDFCreator.
Using this in conjunction with Foxit Reader gives you a great PDF experience.