CyberNotes
Web Browser Wednesday

The other day, the Web Standards Project released the Acid3 test that will push browsers to a new level. I’m sure many of you are already familiar with the Acid2 test which has become famous because of the often discombobulated block-like smiley face most browsers produce.

Browsers such as Safari, Konqueror, and Opera already pass the Acid2 test, and when Firefox 3 is released later this year it will as well. Microsoft has also put some work into Internet Explorer 8 so that it will pass the Acid2 test when it is eventually made available. All of the main browsers will be passing the Acid2 test about 3 years after it was initially released.

Now it is time to move on to bigger and better things… Acid3! The test is not nearly as cool as the smiley face in my opinion, but it does extensively test different aspects of the browser’s rendering engine. It runs a hundred different tests on the browser, and the result should look just like this:

acid3 test correct

This new test targets DOM scripting which is frequently used by Web 2.0 services for advanced interaction. Here’s what the Web Standards Project said about it in their press release:

The Acid3 Test is designed to test specifications for Web 2.0, and exposes potential flaws in implementations of the public ECMAScript 262 and W3C Document Object Model 2 standards. Collectively known as DOM Scripting, it is these technologies that enable advanced page interactivity and power many advanced web applications such as web-based email and online office applications.

We thought it would be fun to test out the browsers that are currently available to see how they stack up to each other on the Acid3 test.

–The Browser Test–

Here are some things to note about our tests:

• All of these browsers were tested on Windows Vista.
  • The browsers started with a clean profile and no extensions or add-ons were installed.
  • The results below are sorted from the best to the worst.
  • Click on any of the screenshots for a full-size version.

Safari 3.1 (Nightly r30626): 86/100

acid3 opera 926

Safari 3.04 (Beta 523.15): 39/100

acid3 safari304

Internet Explorer 7: 12/100

acid3 ie7

–Overview–

So it looks like the nightly builds of Safari really take the crown for this test. It was the closest browser to perfectly complete the test by quite a large margin, with Firefox 3 and Opera 9.5 coming in second and third place. It’s obvious from the results posted above that the current stable builds of all the browsers are definitely not close to passing the Acid3 test.

If you’re on a Mac or Linux machine I would love to hear what you’re results are in some of the other browsers that are available.

1. In typical (and rather depressing) style IE manages to fail most horribly – at least the other browsers mostly looked clean, if incorrect.

Any chance of trying out Konqueror?

2. I just HAD to test the iPod’s Safari browser. It got a better score than IE7. :cry: 39/100. Just like the Safari Beta, but without the big red bug-like image.

3. lynx and elinks wouldn’t even give me a score. *tut*

;)

4. Inferno_str1ke wrote:

Any chance of trying out Konqueror?

While Taking the test konqueror crashed. i am not sure what caused that. i am analyzing the backtrace. Firefox gave a acore of 49/100 on my Ubuntu 7.10 machine.

5. [picasaweb.google.com]
    4 screenshots of acid3 tests on 4 ubuntu web browsers.

6. Looks like IE 7 did as horrible as I though it would, but Webkit powered Safari did very well, kudos to the Webkit team.

7. OH WOW @ IE7′s results…Christ.

FF2 has some weird symbol on it….

8. Ubuntu 7.10

Firefox 2.0.0.12 – 50/100
    Opera 9.50 build 1834 – 65/100

9. Inferno_str1ke wrote:
    Any chance of trying out Konqueror?

My openSUSE machine is having some issues right now so I couldn’t try it out in Konqueror, but Tinhed said it crashed his browser.

brian wrote:
    [picasaweb.google.com]
    4 screenshots of acid3 tests on 4 ubuntu web browsers.

Wow, I haven’t even heard of some of those browsers. ;)

10. IE 8 Beta 1 doesn’t pass Acid 2 or Acid 3 test. It received a 17/100 on the Acid 3 test. I thought it was supposed to pass Acid 2?

11. So what browser has a 100/100 pass? lol how do those guys know that there tests were hundred percent accurate. lol

12. Please add IE8 Beta 1 results for full listing.

13. CoryC wrote:

It does pass Acid2. I’ve just tested it in a virtal machine and the smiley face renders perfectly fine :) Are you sure you weren’t running IE8b1 in IE7-mode?

14. My favourite Ubuntu browser, stiKK’s Swiftweasel 3 beta 3, which dates from 15 February 2008, attains a score of 58. Let us see how it will rank when v 3 beta 4 is released, hopefully in a few days….

Henri

15. DeepFreeze wrote:

I’ve actually wondered the same thing, but seeing that they are the ones who create the standards I would expect that they know what they are doing.

16. My Firefox on Ubuntu 7.10 gets 50. But a friend of mine who compiled his Firefox from source on Gentoo gets 53.

17. Change wrote:
    CoryC wrote:

I was using it in the default mode. There was a drop-down list under the right “eye”.

The IE Team even has blog post describing blogs.msdn.com]' rel="nofollow">Why Isn’t IE8 Passing Acid2?

18. I tried it in SeaMonkey 1.1.4 on my SuSE Linux 10.0 machine and I got a 50 – Fail. :|

19. The current 1.9 Trunk nightlies (where Firefox 3.0 is being developed until it branches for release) I have on Linux gets 68/100 while it is just recently reported a recent hourly can get 69/100

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b5pre) Gecko/2008030704 Minefield/3.0b5pre

20. @beoenduser, the SeaMonkey 1.1.* is on the same 1.8 branch as Firefox 2.0 so no surprise. The upcoming SeaMonkey 2.0 will likely do better much like Firefox 3.0 as they are on the 1.9 Gecko branch.

21. My firefox 2.0.0.12 on vista got a 52?

22. Anonymous wrote:
    My firefox 2.0.0.12 on vista got a 52?

Huh, it must have gotten smarter on your machine. 8O

23. I currently get 70/100 now on Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b5pre) Gecko/2008031304 Minefield/3.0b5pre

24. (on Mac)
    Safari 3.04 39%
    Safari 3.1 75%
    WebKit (lastest Nightly) 93%
    Firefox 3 Beta 4 67%

25. I ran Opera 10 Beta build 4570 on my Jaunty Jackalope. It got a 100/100! Sadly, IE has failed again…