Text messages are becoming a very popular way to communicate with your friends and family. Well, the messages may be fun to receive but sending them is not treat. You have to sit there pounding numbers until your thumbs hurt like they did when you would play Super Mario Brothers on Nintendo. Maybe you are fortunate enough to own a Blackberry which means it isn’t quite as bad, but those are still some small keys you have to press.
There are free services that you can use such as Google’s Send To Phone that offers a simple form to complete in order to send a message to a user. That works great but I have some computer monitoring software that alerts me when my IP address changes at my house. Instead of sending it to my email address I wanted to have it send the new IP to my phone which meant that I couldn’t use Google’s handy form.
Doing a little research showed me that cell phone carriers have setup email addresses that will convert the email to a SMS text message and send it to your phone. All you have to do is find your carrier in the list below and send an email to the designated address.
- Alltel: email@example.com
- AT&T: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boost Mobile: email@example.com
- CellularOne: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cingular: email@example.com
- Nextel: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Omnipoint: email@example.com
- Qwest: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sprint: email@example.com
- T-Mobile: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Verizon: email@example.com
- Virgin Mobile: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Make sure you replace the “0123456789” with your 10-digit mobile phone number.
That is great if you are setting up alerts or sending a message to yourself, but what if you are sending it to a friend and you don’t know what cell phone service they have? TeleFlip will take care of that for you. Just address a message as email@example.com and they will do the dirty work. TeleFlip does limit you to sending no more than 100 emails per month but they do not require you to register. I would say that is a pretty good deal.