cybersearch 102.pngAnother day, another CyberSearch release. ;) Over the weekend I had some time to work on a new CyberSearch feature that I’ve periodically received requests for. Like most features I had to think this one through to ensure that it wouldn’t interfere with the built-in Firefox keyword system.

So what have I added? In CyberSearch 1.0 you might recall that I added an entry onto the bottom of every search results list that would take you to the Google results page. Now we’re making it even easier for you to pull up the Google results page!

When CyberSearch recognizes that you’ve typed in a keyword or domain followed by the Enter key (or Go button) it will instantly take you to the Google search page that shows the same results you were looking at in the address bar. Obviously if you select a result from the drop-down list this feature will be ignored, but pressing Enter without selecting an item from the menu will pull up the Google results page.

This option comes enabled by default, but can quickly be disabled in the settings. You’ll find the option in the General tab:

enter goes to google.png

Keywords that have already been assigned in the browser’s search box will take precedence over any of the ones from our extension. The extension, however, does not look at the keywords you’ve created in your bookmarks, which means CyberSearch will override any of those. For that reason we recommend transitioning your bookmark keywords over to the search box, and I’ve found that the Add to Search Bar extension is useful in doing just that since it will let you add any search box from any site.

Get CyberSearch

1. Should CyberSearch auto-update through the Add-ons manager? If not, will installing it from AMO just overwrite the current version, or do I need to uninstall the one I have and then install the newest version?

2. now you’ve done this can we have the last result line back ‘ as i want 10 result’s instead of nine :?:

3. Max wrote:

No, it does not auto-update as one user pointed out to me since the extension is still experimental. You can just install the new version without uninstalling the old version.

jason wrote:

Actually there never was 10 results. A limitation of Google’s API is that you can only retrieve 8 Google results at a time (I’ve implemented a paging option to get around this), and so 9 results were only being displayed after I added the last line. There was never 10 results.

I could easily make this extension fetch multiple pages of results simultaneously, but I want to abide by Google’s API rules so that they don’t try and shutdown the extension. You can always use the “paging” option to go from one page of results to another though.

4. Just a note – the bug I told you about does still exist (sometimes not opening a site or google results page when typing in “domain.tld” or “keyword keyword” in the location bar and pressing enter, until you click in the page area). I just haven’t been able to reproduce it reliably. It seems to occur irregularly, and not with the same sites or keywords either (the next time I try, it works). I’ll let you know when I can reproduce it reliably.

5. Change wrote:

Thanks, that would help a ton. I haven’t been able to reproduce it myself. Any further info you can get on it would be appreciated.

6. do you think we could have a open search in new tab option in version 1.0.4 please this would be very helpful and i’m sure lot’s of people would want it .

7. james wrote:

I agree that would be useful.

8. james wrote:

I put it on my (short) todo list.

9. out of sandbox ! :D

10. Yup, again: congrats Ryan! Was about time :)

11. Thanks guys. I got a little tired of waiting, and so I asked someone at Mozilla if they could look into it for me.

12. Maybe i’m a little confused, but is there a way to use this with sites other than google.com?

I regularly use google.co.uk and google.co.jp and much prefer them to .com

It seems like i should be able to import other searches that I have installed in firefox.. but if i try “import existing keywords” i just get an error that “the keyword field can’t be blank”.

any ideas how to set it up with other search engines like gamefaqs, google uk, etc…?

13. t_m wrote:
    I regularly use google.co.uk and google.co.jp and much prefer them to .com

CyberSearch only works with google.com, and that’s because of an API limitation. That’s out of our control.

t_m wrote:
    any ideas how to set it up with other search engines like gamefaqs

Add a new keyword, and type “gamefaqs.com” in the URL field. It should be able to automatically grab the icon for that site. Alternatively you can just type in “gamefaqs.com [SEARCH QUERY]” into the address bar where [SEARCH QUERY] is the item you’re looking for, such as Halo 3.

Watch this video demonstration for more information on how it all works:
    [cybernetnews.com]

14. Thanks for the reply.

it took me while to get the hang of it (theres something about the options that is kinda confusing). But now, i’ve actually removed my search box, as i can usually get anything i want from my history/search just from typing into the location bar.

the one problem i have though, is that there seems to be no way to recall the results.

For example, if i type “cybersearch extension” and choose an item from the list, it opens in a new tab. But if it turns out not to be the one i want, i have to type “cybersearch extension” again, to try another one. If that isn’t right, i have to try again.

The advantage of just typing in the search box and getting a google page is that if its not right, i can click Back and try another one.

Any ideas on a way to overcome this problem?
    (i’d suggest pressing UP to bring up a list of previous search terms.. but that might conflict with the SecondSearch extension i have installed for searching on other engines…)

15. I ran into this as well t_m. It would be great if something could be figured out to solve this issue, as I agree it can be quite annoying. This is why I’ve taught myself to use the full google results when I’m not 99% sure my selection will lead me to where I want to go, or I’d like to try several options.