Note: This software is compatible with Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows XP, and Windows Vista. It also does not require any installation to use it, just download the files and run the program.
It’s been a little while since we have come across freeware software that made us all giggly inside, but Nubs (Download Mirror for version 1.1) is just that. It essentially puts tabs (which the program calls Nubs) around the border of your screen so that you can quickly access all of your applications.
It appears that this Windows application gets the idea from a Mac application called Sticky Windows, which will cost $16 to purchase. The video on the site for Sticky Windows actually demonstrates how Nubs works since it is so similar, but this screenshot should explain it all:
As the screenshot demonstrates, dragging a window to the edge of the screen creates a “Nub” out of it. You can then drag the Nubs around to position them how you like, but they’ll always remain attached to one of the edges.
Just like on your Windows Taskbar, clicking on a Nub will alternate minimizing and maximizing the window. A Nub won’t appear until you drag a window to the edge of the screen, but once it is created it will remain visible until you right-click on the Nub to close it. And if you choose to, there is an option available to hide a window from the Taskbar once a Nub has been created for it.
Here is a list of things that you can customize in the application:
- Enable/disable a fade effect when minimizing/maximizing windows.
- Hide “Nubbed” windows from appearing in the Taskbar.
- Hide the Nub icon from the System Tray, but you’ll probably want to leave it there because it is a convenient way to restore all of your Nubbed windows.
- Pick your font type and size.
- Choose from several themes that are included, but you’ll first have to follow the instructions in the ReadMe file that’s included so that you know where to place the themes. Otherwise they won’t show up in the list.
Here are a few screenshots that demonstrate all of the available options: