Delicious 2

Techcrunch managed to get an exclusive look at the upcoming Delicous 2 site. There are numerous new features, and Delicious says that they have done a complete code rewrite this time around. One of the most notable things, however, is that they are dropping the Del.icio.us branding: they are moving to Delicious.com instead of the Del.icio.us that we’re all used to.

Here are some of the new features aside from the upcoming name change and new layout:

• There are four main categories on the Delicioius site: Home, Bookmarks, People and Tags
  • New sorting options
  • Bulk tag editing…thank goodness!
  • Autocomplete on the tag bar
  • Organize and sort your friends
  • New search engine with contextual search – search your own bookmarks, all bookmarks, or a network of bookmarks

The Delicious 2 preview page is available, but you have to be invited before you can login. I wouldn’t search around too hard for an invite though, because any changes you make on the preview service will be lost once the new design goes live.

So I think the more important question is what do you think about them changing the name?

More screenshots are available over at TechCrunch

1. Oh come on, it’s not del.icio.us without the dots.

2. I reckon the name change is down to the fact that if people hear about a bookmarking site called delicious, they’ll go home and type “delicious.com” into their browser. As most people are still on IE and don’t have browse by name (Google do offer this in their toolbar) that’s how they find a site, stick .com on the end. What I don’t get is that at the moment delicious.com redirects to del.iciou.us, and to be honest I do reckon that split up name adds something (not to mention that it’s been copied many times now).

3. Del.icio.us or delicious.com. doesnt make a huge difference. what does is how users will take to the new site design. The screenshots look good enough for me. And what is the use of making a preview page available if we cant customise it.

4. They are dropping the dots? This is great news because all that dot intermixing was giving me carpal tunnel.

I do think they should own the Delicious domain if they are going to do this, though, and have it redirect.

5. dpotts wrote:
    Oh come on, it’s not del.icio.us without the dots.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking.

Inferno_str1ke wrote:

That’s true, but they already own that domain so they could just redirect delicious.com to del.icio.us.

Tinhed wrote:
    Del.icio.us or delicious.com. doesnt make a huge difference.

Actually it does make quite a bit of a difference. They need something catchy so that people can remember it.

KylesCove wrote:

Maybe we should do away with dots all together in domains. :)

6. I’m surprised it isn’t delicious.yahoo.com

7. netster007x wrote:
    I’m surprised it isn’t delicious.yahoo.com

I think that would be like them doing flickr.yahoo.com – that just isn’t very catchy.

8. There should at least be something mentioning the Y! ownership. A “powered by Y!” icon or something. Also, Yahoo! should link to it. It isn’t even mentioned in the “everything Yahoo!” page. When Yahoo! buys something they shouldn’t just leave it exactly how it was before.

9. netster007x wrote:

I definitely agree with you there. I even think they should advertise it a bit more and show more casual Internet users how they could benefit from it. Maybe even integration into the email service?