dell dock.jpg

Dell has a launched a new line of laptop computers dubbed Dell Studio that has raised a few eyebrows. The laptops ship with Windows Vista which isn’t surprising, but the thing that made Gizmodo do a double-take was the Mac-like dock that appeared on the desktop. The dock is used as a way to remove some of the icons from the user’s desktop, and can be customized in a variety of ways (color, location, etc…). Plus you can add your own shortcuts to it.

After a little searching around I came across this article from Notebook Review that was just posted today. That’s where I got the screenshot from at the beginning of the article, and as you can see each main icon serves as a folder for your shortcuts. That way you can group your related shortcuts, and therefore steer clear of cluttering up the dock itself.

The Dell Studio line also includes backlit keyboards, which happens to be one of the biggest features that drew me to the MacBook Pro. That way when you’re in a low-light environment, such as a presentation, you’ll still be able to see the keys on your keyboard. I had been wondering for awhile why Apple was one of the only laptop manufacturers to offer this feature, and so I applaud Dell for offering this.

dell backlit keyboard.jpg

I’m sure there will be a lot of Mac fanatics criticizing Dell for including these features will their Studio laptops, but the dock they designed actually looks pretty good. The dock isn’t very Apple-like if you ask me, but there will be plenty of other people who will disagree. I wonder if they will be rolling these two things out to their other laptops?

1. Those look awesome! Backlit keys! Just checked the site to customize, and damn these things are competitively priced!

I’m going to start college this fall and will be getting a laptop. Honestly, I was planning on getting an HP, but now I’m strongly leaning towards a Dell studio laptop!

Thanks for the tip!

PS: Wow, Fx3 thinks “backlit” is a typo!?

2. “The Dell Studio line also includes backlit keyboards”

3. netster007x wrote:

Dell definitely surprised me with these laptops. The only thing that I noticed in the NotebookReview.com review was that the battery life was only like two and a half hours for the 17″. That’s not terrible, but a lot of Dell’s laptops get 4+ hours. I’m wondering if the 15″ would get better battery life.

Pieter wrote:
    “The Dell Studio line also includes backlit keyboards”

If you were in a room in your house you could, but what about in a room where someone is giving a presentation? When I was in college I took notes in class on my computer, and sometimes it was a pain trying to type because all of the lights would be off for a presentation. And I’ve never heard about these keyboards being unhealthy?

You write so much blog posts every day, so I’m pretty sure that you master the art of blind typing. Why would you need to look at your keyboard then? Call me a party pooper, but I think this is just one things that companies want you to buy even though you don’t actually need them. Disclaimer: I don’t own a laptop and I do realize that everyone uses his computer in a different way.

Ryan wrote:
    And I’ve never heard about these keyboards being unhealthy?

Me neither. :) I can however imagine it being unhealthy when all the lights are switched off and you’re staring at your keyboard. Staring at bright lights in a dark room is unhealthy for the same reason why you shouldn’t use your computer without taking a break every so often.

5. Pieter wrote:
    Ryan wrote:

True, I can type fairly well, but not when it comes to hitting the numbers and symbols along the top. Plus all of those keys like Page Up/Page Down are so small that you almost have to see them in order to press them.

6. Well the laptop that are in the store dont come with everything that it does online. So if you do want to get everything that is to come with it then get it off the internet. I was going to get on but i went to a couple different stores and it wasnt what i though it was. i got an hp.

7. Pieter wrote:
    “The Dell Studio line also includes backlit keyboards”Aren’t these backlit keyboards unhealthy? Why can’t you just walk to the nearest light switch?

What a numnut lol. I use mine to dj in “night” clubs lol.
    Or maybe while my wife is sleeping next to me or watching a movie in the dark nummy….Think a bit outside the box…

8. I am leaning toward the Dell Studio 17. But I like the pretty looks too. Is the Dell Studio backlight blue or white?

Because I did some tweaking and found an Alienware laptop customized with the lowest possible setting to be less money than a dell studio 17. And the lowest settings are still better. with one exceptoin.

They’re both awesome laptops, but Alienware looks so cool!

9. @Noah: White.