Firefox 2 Beta 2

I have now put together a portable version of the Beta 2 to make it a little easier to try. All you have to do is download the Firefox Portable file. Then you unzip the file and browse for the file FirefoxPortable.exe. Just execute that file and you will be running Firefox 2 Beta 2! The profile is kept with the FirefoxPortable folder so you don’t have to worry about messing up your other profile and the uninstallation process is simple…just delete the folder!

If you want to install Firefox 2 Beta 2 then the files are on their FTP. The release notes page is currently up but the download links that they have do not work. Here are the direct links for the downloads of the English versions:

I am a little disappointed about the look of the tabs for Beta 2 because they look much better in the latest nightly build. In Beta 2 you will see that the text on the background tabs is a little grayed out whereas the nightly build has nice dark text that is easy to read.

Update:
I have put together a portable verison of the latest nightly build as well. That way you can see how the tabs have already changed since Beta 2.

Update 2:
I have received a few emails regarding a tweak guide for Beta 2 since I put one together for Beta 1. There was only one thing that had changed and I put the update in that guide.

There Are 44 Comments

  1. Thank you Ryan. Will give it a try now.

  2. No problem. I’m also thinking about putting together a portable version of the latest nightly build because it is much better in my opinion.

  3. I have been using Firefox 2.OA2 since you made the portable version available & it has become my main browser. I love it! I have tweaked it & have all extensions I want but A.I. Roboform.

    How can I check out this latest portable without losing my portable 2.OA2?

  4. You can just download this version and keep both in a separate folder. Then you can just execute the one that you want.

    The profiles are kept independent of each other so you don’t have to worry about screwing up your other profile.

  5. That’s what I hoped. I am gun shy after previous experiences when I knew even less:~ )
    Thanks

  6. Jack of all Trades

    any news regarding the automated updates from beta1 2 beta2? cause i believe the files are on the ftp, but my beta1 claims no updates are available.

    and one more thing, i’ve tried to install a dictionary for the spell checker using the portable version, but the although i maneged to run the XPI file, and it claims 2 be installed, it doesn’t work. it did in beta1 (but didn’t check on the portable version of beta 1).
    thanks, and thanks for the portable.

  7. any news about apponkey
    [apponkey.com]

  8. Jack of all Trades wrote:
    any news regarding the automated updates from beta1 2 beta2? cause i believe the files are on the ftp, but my beta1 claims no updates are available.

    They haven’t even updated the [mozilla.org] but once they do I am sure the automatic update will kick in.

    Jack of all Trades wrote:
    i’ve tried to install a dictionary for the spell checker using the portable version, but the although i maneged to run the XPI file, and it claims 2 be installed, it doesn’t work. it did in beta1 (but didn’t check on the portable version of beta 1).
    thanks, and thanks for the portable.

    I haven’t tried to install any other dictionaries but I will to see if I have the same problem. Thanks for letting me know.

  9. Is there a way to add the extensions that I have installed in my firefox 1.5.0.6 to the portable firefox 2 beta 2 ???( those that are compatible)

    Thanks
    anon

  10. If you want your extensions to work in Beta 2 you might download the extension Nightly Tester Tools. It includes a radio box to force the extension you want to install. When the download of the extension (Add-on) begins you will see the radio box to check.

  11. Ed wrote:
    If you want your extensions to work in Beta 2 you might download the extension Nightly Tester Tools. It includes a radio box to force the extension you want to install. When the download of the extension (Add-on) begins you will see the radio box to check.

    That is what I had to do to force GreaseMonkey to work with Beta 2. The latest release only worked up to Beta 1.

  12. Any screenshots?

  13. It won’t run when i already have some Firefox instance running :-(

  14. stelt wrote:
    It won’t run when i already have some Firefox instance running :-(

    [tech.cybernetnews.com] explains how you can get two of them to run at the same time. Just change all references to “PortableFirefox” to “FirefoxPortable” (there was a name change in the program).

  15. 9.38MB? Hmmm… It’s the price for being portable or Firefox 2.0 will double it’s weight?

  16. I think it is the spelling feature that takes up a little more room. After all, it does have a dictionary.

  17. I’ve just tested. What I really like is the spelling correction from textarea area. I should use this Firefox to prevent mistakes in English, since this is not my native language :roll: . Great, great, great.

    If it’s larger because of the dictionary, as you say, Ryan… than, I have no problem! I hope soon will be dictionaries for all the languages…

  18. They do have [addons.mozilla.org] However, as Jack of all Trades pointed out above they may not work with the portable version. I haven’t had a chance to try them yet.

  19. Radu Capan wrote:
    9.38MB? Hmmm… It’s the price for being portable or Firefox 2.0 will double it’s weight?

    But still that’s not too bad compared to say IE7…

  20. guys and gals,
    did any of u notice that in the ffb2 when u use find as u type, the bar that pops up is missing all the usuall highlight, find next and find pervious buttons?
    all there is, is just the text input field.

    and of course i did not change the theme.
    strange.

  21. Yes, I believe that was something that they intended to do. Doesn’t really make a difference for me because I use Ctrl G to find the next item on the page. That way the bar doesn’t even have to still be on the screen and I can still find the next occurrence.

  22. Ryan wrote:
    Doesn’t really make a difference for me because I use Ctrl G to find the next item on the page. That way the bar doesn’t even have to still be on the screen and I can still find the next occurrence.

    but not every1 knows that. i didn’t know that. i personally think it is a bad idea. and i might just let them know.

  23. I totally agree with you that they should leave it on because they have a whole toolbar that is blank except for a search box. Why not just utilize that space with those buttons?

  24. oh, and i see they dropped the Clear cache button 2 :cry:
    now u have to use clear private data settings in order to clean just the cache.

    i was expecting a bit more on beta2.

  25. Ryan wrote:
    I totally agree with you that they should leave it on because they have a whole toolbar that is blank except for a search box. Why not just utilize that space with those buttons?

    turns out it is still there?!?!. i was playing with the portable version, when suddenly they appeared. i think if you hit Ctrl F twice, the buttons goes up.

    stop bugging you now :-)

  26. Jack of all Trades wrote:
    oh, and i see they dropped the Clear cache button 2 :cry:
    now u have to use clear private data settings in order to clean just the cache.

    i was expecting a bit more on beta2.

    Odd I didn’t know there was one, I been using the Clear Cache Button Extension. But haven’t tried it with FF 2.0b2 yet.

  27. This looks good, I’ll have to check it out.

  28. ffextensionguru wrote:
    Jack of all Trades wrote:
    Odd I didn’t know there was one, I been using the Clear Cache Button Extension. But haven’t tried it with FF 2.0b2 yet.

    I discover today that button doesn’t work in 2.0 :(

  29. Thanks for the portable version! Very helpful for testing without worrying about your non beta profile!

Leave Your Comment


Message is the only required field.
Emails are not published.