It has now been several months since BitTorrent, Inc acquired uTorrent, but it looks like there is still some hope for uTorrent after all. Right now uTorrent 1.7 Beta is available (Download Mirror) and is the first version to incorporate new features since the acquisition took place. To my surprise they kept the BitTorrent client rather simple which all uTorrent users will definitely like.
Besides for Vista support, here is what new features uTorrent 1.7 Beta brings to the table:
- Outgoing port range, via advanced settings (net.outgoing_max_port)
- List number of pieces we have in General tab (as part of Pieces:)
- Mark unavailable pieces as red in the Files tab (like in the general tab)
- Auto uplink throttling (beta)
- List web seeds in General tab
- Web seed support for single-file torrents
- NAT-PMP support
- Local Peer Discovery
- Option to configure whether rate limits apply to local peers (bt.limit_local_peers)
- Support for HTTPS links in RSS feeds
- Next Piece display
- Remembering the last selected tab in the main view
- Remembering the last selected tab in the preferences view
- Vista font scaling support (DPI aware)
- Secondary column sorting should now be supported by all list viewsNew treeview-based add torrent dialog
- Added Reboot and Quit on Finished options
- Tracker “warning message” support
I’m not sure how many of you have stopped using uTorrent because of the acquisition by BitTorrent, but I’m still using it to download and manage my Torrents. If the software ever becomes bloated then I am sure I’ll be switching to another client, but for the time being they are still keeping it pretty slim and fast.
So what’s everybody using when it comes to a BitTorrent client right now?
Download uTorrent 1.7 Beta (Download Mirror)