When Facebook moved away from their original interface (back when it was “The Facebook”) people weren’t too happy. Since then it’s gotten a few tweaks here and there, and they’ve added features and of course applications, but the look has generally stayed the same. Facebook is now ready to introduce another big change to the interface and we’re expecting some people to put up a fight! In general people don’t seem to adapt well to change, even if it’s for the better.

Below you’ll find a screenshot of the original Facebook just to bring back old memories:

original facebook.png

Image Source

And of course most of you know what the current Facebook looks like, so here’s what the new Facebook will look like:

new facebook profile.png

One of the first things we noticed is that there will be a lot less on the page to view. They’ve made use of tabs up at the top to switch between things like Info, Photos, and Boxes. There’s also a menu bar up at the top where you’ll find a link to your Friends and a drop-down menu with the applications you currently have. All of these extra clicks to various pages should put a few more bucks in Facebook’s bank with an increase in pageviews, that’s for sure.

The official Facebook Blog has more information on some of the changes, like:

• Simplified top menu
  • Tabbed profiles
  • “The new wall”
  • The Publisher Box (for adding photos, notes, videos, application content, updating status, etc.)
  • New Application Interactions

The Facebook crew says you can try out the new site simply by visiting http://www.new.facebook.com, except doing this did not give me the new interface. For Ryan it worked, but for me it didn’t. If by visiting the “New” site, you see the same ole’ interface, just keep checking back.

While it might take some adjusting, it will be nice to have cleaner pages with less information to look at. Once they added applications, things started to get way too cluttered on some people’s profiles.

For now users can either use the new (if it’s available to them) or go back to the old, but in the coming weeks everybody will be forced to use the updated interface. Tell us what you think of it…

Thanks for the tip Natmaster!

1. I’ve been eager to get the new layout for weeks. Now it’s finally in reach. Any thing that makes it better and less cluttered is a plus!

2. Requires the Facebook ‘Developer’ app to be installed before you can preview the new page. 8)

3. PhoenixP3K wrote:

I’m happy about the less-cluttered part, that’s for sure. I’m still not a fan of the whole app situation just because they makes profiles so cluttered and most of them seem pretty pointless. It starts to look more and more like MySpace profiles which definitely isn’t a good thing. :)

4. MW wrote:

Maybe I’m missing something? I got the new page to work without needing the “developer” app.

MW wrote:

Maybe not. When I first took a look at the new page I needed the app, but it’s updated again since then. The update isn’t all that great in my opinion anyway.. Maybe I’m just not used to it yet.

6. “Birthday: November 15th”. NOTED! :)

7. I definitely like the cleaner look and how they reorganized things. However, I’d still like to display some of the apps on my default page, like the weather where I am and my travel plans. I see no way to do that anymore, and I doubt anyone’s gonna look at it when it’s all hidden on the boxes page.. Wasn’t just a boxes tab where you could put most of your apps enough?

I’ve never seen that first design, that impressed me. They’ve come a long way! They have a great (group of) designer(s).

8. Only a small number of users will be able to see the new Facebook currently. However, for those who can’t, you are able to see it if you add the developer app, like MW suggested. More users will be presented with the option to see the new interface as things are finalized.

9. Pieter wrote:
    “Birthday: November 15th”. NOTED! :)

Maybe that’s fake. :roll:

Change wrote:
    I definitely like the cleaner look and how they reorganized things.

I definitely like that as well. I’m glad the apps have been pushed off the front page because it was starting to feel too much like MySpace.

natmaster wrote:

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

10. My profile switched to the new Facebook this afternoon, but now I can’t access it, nor can I access the old version. I am locked out! :x

11. I will not use facebook again if the interface cannot be change into classic (old interface). new interface make me confuse…

12. How can I use the previous Facebook’s Interface?
    I like it rather than the new one!

• layouts for facebook

Unfortunately there is no way to switch back to the old design after you upgrade to the new Facebook profile.

13. We are all just sheep in his little world of communication. He changes the interface all the time, and does not listen to anybody but himself.
    It´s getting more and more hard to keep up with the changes and find old communication between friends. Somehow, I think he is jalous on the brain-scattering Twitter and want facebook to become exactly like it..

I´d like somebody to back up everything as it is right now and then nuke facebook to the skies, so they cant make changes anymore :)