A few months ago we pointed out that Notepad++ has an option to find and replace text in multiple files, but that is obviously not the sole purpose of the app. If you need to perform a find and replace operation across multiple files I’d highly suggest that you try out a program that focuses on that kind of task, such as TextCrawler. It’s an extremely powerful app when it comes to finding and replacing text.
As you can see from the screenshot above there are a wide array of features spread out across the intuitive interface. Not only can you see what files matched your query, but you can view the exact line in the file that was matched. That way you can make sure the text you’ll be replacing is what you expected, but just to be on the safe side you can still have TextCrawler make a backup of the files before they are changed (just enable this in the settings).
Here are some of the other features:
- Search and Replace across files, Insert or Delete text
- Fast searching, even on large files
- Simple to use interface
- Flexible search parameters
- Text Extractor – rip text into a new file
- Post-process extracted text – sort, remove duplicate lines, remove whitespace
- Search and replace using Regular Expressions. Create sophisticated searches.
- Regular Expression test tool
- Regular Expression library – Save your searches
- Create backup files
- Highlighted search results
- Export Results
- Preview Replace Function
- Copy found files to new location
- Batch Find and Replace
TextCrawler Homepage (Windows only; Freeware)