Firefox 3 Beta 3

It’s that time again! We haven’t seen a Firefox 3 Beta release in nearly 2-months, and I’m sure many of you are ready to jump on this download. The Windows build features some of the new icons (back, forward, refresh, etc…), and checkout the Bookmarks Toolbar if you start wondering where the heck the Home icon disappeared to. I guess Mozilla thinks that the Home icon makes more sense when it is in your bookmarks?

Also in the screenshot above you can see the new section that has been integrated into the Add-ons Manager. Now you’re able to search and install extensions into Firefox without ever having to open a website. I think most experienced Firefox users will still stick with the official add-ons site since you’re able to sort the results and whatnot, but this was a smart move by Mozilla to expose new users to extensions.

Last, and definitely not least, is the new section in the Status Bar that displays the status of all your downloads. It tells you how many active downloads you have, the time remaining for them to complete, and clicking on it will bring up the download manager. And then it will disappear when the downloads have completed restoring your precious space in the Status Bar. *applause* I’ve got to hand it to Mozilla for adding this feature because little things like this is what makes a browser great.

Firefox 3 Beta 3 Download Status Bar

Okay, now it’s your turn to try it out! Mozilla hasn’t updated the official Beta site yet, but the necessary files have been added to the FTP. Our downloader, as always, balances the load across all the servers that are hosting the setup file which eases the burden on Mozilla’s servers. So download until your heart is content:

1. I can’t wait for the portable version of this to be released. =)

2. Currently trying it out, and loving the fact it renders the web pages much faster. I really like the new additions. :mrgreen:

3. Its nice to see the extensions feature – I think it has always been a massive oversight that Firefox did not ship with the Firefox Add-Ons search engine option by default – its the first thing I install in a new firefox install.

4. Wow, Firefox3 has really shaped up to be a nice update. That theme has grown on me too. Still, I wish they would’ve went all the way and dropped the menu bar. I guess that’s where the extensions come in.

I’m currently using IE7Pro, yet I can’t say if that’ll last. Hey, an IE8Beta should be released sometime first half 2008. Whether or not that fixes some of the glaring ommissions of IE7 (bookmarks search, inline find, download manager…) could potentially make Fx a lot more appealing (or not).

5. Btw: They have updated their ‘official beta site,’ as you call it.

Here’s their checklist for the release: [wiki.mozilla.org]
    You can use this to track progress on future releases so you known when certain parts are up.

6. I’m definitely not too fond of the new theme, particularly the refresh button. Other than that, I like that they’ve put the download information in the status bar. Now I don’t need the extension for that anymore. I’m happy with what I see so far, besides the theme.

7. Wow talk about some great new features!

8. Mohan wrote:

The rendering improvements are definitely noticeable compared to Firefox 2 and Internet Explorer. That’s one thing that I’m really glad to see shape up.

bob89 wrote:

That’s funny because the one thing that I thought looked good was the refresh button. Then again I’m on Vista and the theme will be changing so that the other buttons look more like the refresh button.

9. OH MY! Memory utilization is so much better than previous beta releases. After about 30 minutes of use Firefox hasn’t used more than 60 MB. I hits lots of pages, used lots of tabs, watched videos, saved bookmarks, checked for updates to extensions, downloaded…basically everything I could think of and the memory usage is nice and lean.

Good work Firefox team.

10. Memory usage hasn’t improved – 60MB from startup to this page.

I also don’t like the fact that I can’t move the buttons on the toolbars anymore. I know they’re going for the IE7 “new” look but I’m fine with it as it is and would rather be able to customise it than have new icons.

Finally Places. Are they ever actually going to make it into a sensible bookmarking system? At the moment they’ve got the star thing, and starred items take preference in the URL bar search, but the bookmarks menu still views the standard bookmarks which appear entirely unconnected to your starred items or tags. Regarding tags, is there any point in them, seeing as you have to go into the bookmark management area to even see them. If they’re going to make stars the new bookmarks and tags the new folders I’d like to see them go all the way.

11. hello
    can u tell me how to get home button in Firefox 3b3. i need home button.

12. CoryC wrote:

Good work Firefox team.

On the nightly builds I’m definitely experiencing better memory usage than Firefox 2, but it could still be better. I haven’t restarted the browser since this morning and currently have 4 tabs open with 140MB of memory usage. I have, however, opened and closed a few hundred tabs today.

Inferno_str1ke wrote:
    Memory usage hasn’t improved – 60MB from startup to this page.

You should be able to move the icons around. I can move them around just fine.

As far as the tagging system goes I think they are mostly doing it for search reasons, but you also have to remember that they expect people to make extensions that leverage off of the new features they introduce. So I’m sure there will be an extension that will add a better interface for navigating tagged bookmarks.

avinash wrote:
    hello
    can u tell me how to get home button in Firefox 3b3. i need home button.

It’s on the bookmarks toolbar now.

13. Inferno_str1ke wrote:
    Memory usage hasn’t improved – 60MB from startup to this page.

In beta 2, on my computer, it would have been around 150 MB and it only increased from there. You should see that memory hover around 60 – 80 MB.

14. avinash wrote:
    hello
    can u tell me how to get home button in Firefox 3b3. i need home button.

You have to use the “Bookmarks Toolbar” and then right click and select “Customize”. You can then drag the Home icon in the Bookmarks toolbar to the Navigation Toolbar and uncheck the “Bookmarks Toolbar”

Despite this it still seems ridiculous that the very prominent “bookmark star” creates a bookmark that can’t actually be viewed as standard in the bookmark menu. Having to put each in a folder before you can get at it quickly defeats the point of the star – one click is not enough.

16. Inferno_str1ke wrote:
    Ryan wrote:

Actually you can do it in just one click. If you don’t designate a folder the bookmark will be placed in the “unfiled bookmarks” folder. I understand what you’re saying though, and they really do need to create a better interface for viewing tagged bookmarks.

17. Just decided to try Fx3b3 portable (it’s out). OMG, the little things just make trying to use this browser HORRIBLE. First, if I open a new tab, the address bar is NOT focused. I have to click in it. Second, if I type in a URL and hit enter NOTHING happens. I have to click the GO icon. Third, if I click the address bar that has a URL, it doesn’t select it. I have to drag over all. Is this just portable bug?

[portableapps.com]

18. netster007x wrote:

[portableapps.com]

They must be bugs in portable version i tested each one in “Minefield” (Nightly Releases)and they all did what you wanted

19. netster007x wrote:

I haven’t tested out the portable version, but all of those things work fine in the nightly builds. I don’t remember having that problem when running the official Beta 3 either, so it must be portable-specific.