In the last week we’ve seen two major browsers, Firefox (review) and Opera, release huge milestones for their desktop software. Just five days after the release of Opera 9.5 they are reporting that there have been an astounding 4.7 million downloads of the browser, thereby averaging almost a million downloads per day. That’s pretty good considering they have 20 million users, which means about a quarter of them have already made the upgrade.

Mozilla, who was going after a Guinness World Record, came barreling through with everything they had. Early in the morning they were having troubles keeping up with the greedy geeks like yourself that just had to be the “first” to get their hands on the browser. Mozilla’s pipes were definitely clogged as they were trying to serve up 2 Gigabits of HTTP traffic per second, plus another 13 Gigabits of downloads per second. While they could have been a little better prepared, that’s like trying to fit a bus through a tunnel the size of a straw. As things began leveling out they were able to get the traffic under control, and averaged 150 downloads per second (9,000 per minute). Not too shabby.

In the end those 9,000 downloads every minute worked out to a total of 8,271,687 downloads of Firefox 3.0 in the first day. That’s over 3 million more downloads than Mozilla was hoping to get! Here’s a breakdown of the top 10 countries according to Spread Firefox:

Note: The download counter still seems to be increasing despite the Firefox Download Day being over. These stats are taken as of June 18th at 1:19PM CST (3 minutes after Download Day officially finished).

1. United States: 2,582,070 Downloads
  2. Germany: 666,627 Downloads
  3. Japan: 403,417 Downloads
  4. Spain: 298,204 Downloads
  5. United Kingdom: 295,557 Downloads
  6. France: 290,692 Downloads
  7. Iran: 258,774 Downloads
  8. Italy: 244,319 Downloads
  9. Canada: 223,618 Downloads
  10. Lithuania: 213,871 Downloads

Net Applications has also reported on the market share usage of Firefox 3 over the last 24-hours, and it looks as though a good portion of Firefox users are adopting the new browser. Here’s a chart of the market share starting on June 17th at 10AM (EDT), and ending on June 18th at 11AM (EDT):

Market Share for Firefox 3 in the First Day
firefox 3 market share.png

In May 2008 Firefox had an 18.41% market share overall, and according to the hourly reports Firefox 3.0 alone peaked at 4.56% of the total market share. If those stats are anything to go by about 25% of Firefox users are already running the latest version of the browser.

Congrats to both Mozilla and Opera on successfully distributing their browsers to millions and millions of users! If you participated in the Firefox Download Day be sure to grab your commemorative form.

1. IE’s marketshare will be interesting to watch when June ends.

2. So did Mozilla break the record?

3. anon wrote:
    IE’s marketshare will be interesting to watch when June ends.

I think it will be more interesting for July, because Firefox 3 will not have had a full month’s worth of stats for June.

Max wrote:
    So did Mozilla break the record?

They said that they have to wait for the Guinness Book of World Records to officially tally the numbers, but I’m guessing they didn’t have any troubles since the record didn’t exist prior to this. :roll:

4. Those Opera downloads impress me more. How can they have so many downloads and not have a bigger marketshare? They sure must have some loyal users..

5. Everybody seems to agree that Mozilla Firefox reached its goal and soon will be in the Guinness Book of World Records.

I plan to frame it to remind me of an historic date in which I participated. 8O

6. So close Germany! You missed the magic number by 39 downloads… :twisted:

7. Michael Dobrofsky
    Omar Upegui wrote:
    Thanks Ryan for the link to print the commemorative certificate. I just printed it and looks great in bright colors with my name on it. I plan to frame it to remind me of an historic date in which I participated.

Dear Lord, I hope that was sarcasm :P

8. anon wrote:
    IE’s marketshare will be interesting to watch when June ends.

Oh yeah, can’t wait. :evil:

9. Change wrote:

I was kinda wondering the same thing. Firefox is sitting with 12.5 million downloads right now after about two days. I’m guessing they’ll get a few more million over the course of the next few days. That would mean Opera 9.5 has received about 25% of the total downloads Firefox 3 did in the first 5 days, and yet there market share will be much less than 25% of Firefox 3′s. According to Net Applications Firefox 3 has peaked at 6.2% of the market share, and yet Opera is under 1% of their market share.

P wrote: