Are you looking for a free tool that will let you capture both screenshots and screencasts? Well, Screen Capturer can do both of those things and you won’t have to drop a dime for it. When you first download and install the app you’ll be required to enter a registration key, but you can get that for free. Since it requires an email address I recommend using a service like 10minutemail.com for this just to be on the safe side.
After you get past that minor hurdle you can start enjoying all of the features the app has to offer. Here are some of the highlights:
- Capture screenshots
- Capture animations (screencasts)
- Capture full screen
- Capture active or selected window
- Capture selected area of the screen
- Capture screenshots to clipboard, image file, e-mail or printer
- Screenshot image files can be saved in such popular formats as .png, .gif, .jpg, .bmp and .tiff.
- Capture screencast animations to highly compressed video files (WMV), with an option to instantly attach them to e-mail
- Capture screencast animations with sound
- Support for multiple monitors
You can access almost all of those modes through keyboard shortcuts or by selecting what you want to do from within the main interface:
Not bad considering the app is free. As you can see in the first screenshot at the beginning of the article the region capture mode also provides a nice magnifying glass so that you can make sure you select what you want with pixel-perfect accuracy. That’s a nice touch.
Screen Capturer Homepage (Windows only; Freeware)