When it comes down to free FTP clients for Windows there are only a handful of them I ever hear people talk about. Normally they consist of apps like FileZilla or WinSCP, and some people just stick to the standard Windows Explorer if they are only connecting to FTP sites. I came across a different app the other day that I’d definitely put on par with apps like FileZilla. That app is FTP Rush.
This free app comes from a company that also makes a paid and more feature-packed FTP client, but their free alternative should be more than suitable for most of your needs. Here’s a list of some key features for the app:
- Supports FXP – Site-to-Site transfers
- Tabbed interface and multiple connections
- Supports FTP, FTPS, TFTP and SFTP (FTP over SSH).
- GUI Customization and Integrated Docking
- Drag-And-Drop files via Explorer-like interface
- Automated transfer by writing FTP scripts
- Built-in Task Manager including Synchronize
- Supports HTTP Proxy, Socks 4&5
- Fast SFV checking on client side
- Supports Unicode/UTF8 charset
- Supports UPnP Port-mapping
- On-The-Fly Mode Z Compression
- High performance Disk Buffer
- Caching folders speeds your browsing
- Keep alive your FTP connections
- Smart Skip & Allow transfer
- Row color and highlights
- Super fast file search
What actually surprised me a bit was that they actually include a portable version of the app weighing in under 10MB once extracted on your machine. I haven’t seen a lot of cases where the developer of the FTP program also supplies a portable version, which made this a nice touch. I think the interface could use a little work, but I find that’s the case with most of the FTP clients.
FTP Rush Homepage (Windows only; Freeware)