There have been quite a few video conversion utilities giving away their software for Halloween this year, but to be honest a lot of them aren’t that great. I tried one of them today, however, called Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate (retail value of $66) and it is the obvious exception. You can apply for a free license code today only (expires 23:59:59 PM EDT on October 31, 2010).
Note: There are also some free Mac utilities on that page, but none quite as nice as this Windows app.
What I love the most is the drag-and-drop queue mode. With it you can just drag the videos you want to convert into the main window, and when you’re done you can kick of the batch conversion. Plus you can configure each video so that it is converted into different formats for different devices.
I’ll let the list of features below talk for itself, but I highly recommend jumping on this. The good news is that to get a free license code all you have to do is enter in your name and email address… you don’t have to download anything at the moment so you can do easily do this from a mobile device as well. That means you can also sign-up other people if you think they may be interested in this. Technically, however, everyone will receive the same license key so it’s more like you’re on the honor system. For that same reason when entering in the license key make sure you enter the correct email address tied to the license, which is firstname.lastname@example.org and not your own personal email address.
Here’s a list of features for the video converter:
- Various videos supported
- Rip DVDs to videos such as MP4, MPG, WMV, FLV, SWF, etc;
- Convert HD videos, camcorder videos, DRM protected videos and YouTube videos to common video formats;
- Extract audio from DVD and video as MP3, AAC, WAV, WMA, M4A, etc.
- Enable converted files to be compatible widely
- Convert DVD and video on any other players for iPod, iPhone (including iPhone 4, iOS 4), Apple TV, PSP, and other mobile devices;
- Let your converted DVD and video be compatible with popular applications like QuickTime, iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro, etc;
- Allow you to upload converted files to YouTube, Google, Yahoo!, MySpace for sharing with others.
- Download YouTube videos with ease
- Enter a video URL to directly download videos from YouTube, Google, Yahoo!, MySpace and other video-sharing sites;
- Convert downloaded videos to applications and devices mentioned above.
- Transfer audio and files to portable devices
- Intelligently recognize connected USB devices such as iPod, iPhone, Blackberry, etc;
- Transfer converted DVDs, videos and audios to iPad, iPod and iPhone without iTunes;
- Directly import files from USB devices like mobile phones and camcorders for converting and editing.
- Make DVD with favorite videos
- Burn converted and downloaded videos to DVD discs to preserve the significative videos;
- Selected free provided DVD menu templates to make your DVD unique. You can also choose your favorite picture and song as the DVD menu background image and music.
- Practical video editing functionalities
- Cut off unwanted borders from a video frame to feature a highlight by cropping videos;
- Rotate videos and get your video to appear right side up;
- Clip and merge video clips to make a creative movie by your own;
- Add watermark to make your videos unique and in case of abuse.
- User-friendly and easy-to-use
- Customizable video brightness, contrast, saturation, resolution, etc;
- Allow you to take snapshot of DVD movies and videos;
- Multi-task conversion saves your time a lot;
- A concise user interface with only a few of buttons to make your work easier.
Here’s some information on the different file formats and devices that the Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate supports out-of-the-box:
- Input File Formats Supported
- DVD: DVD Disc, ISO files, DVD folder, IFO files
- Audio: WAV, APE, FLAC, M4A, WMA, AAC, AC3, MKA, OGG, AIFF, RA, RAM, MP3, MP2, MPA
- Video: AVI, MP4, DAT, MPG, MPEG, NUT, H.264, NSV, VOB, MOV, FLV, MKV, MTS/M2TS/TS/TP/TRP(AVHD, H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2 HD), MOD, TOD, DV, WMV, ASF, 3GP, 3G2
- Output File Formats Supported
- Audio: FLAC, AIFF, AU, MKA, APE, OGG, WAV, WMA, AAC, AC3, M4A, MP3
- Video: MOV, VOB, MPG, WMV, HD WMV(WMV1, WMV2, WMV3) MP4, AVI, ASF, DV, 3GPP, 3GP, 3G2, FLV, MKV, M4V, SWF, HD MP4(High Profile H.264, MP4 VIDEO, H.264, Xvid)
- Image: BMP, GI,F JPEG, PNG
- Some of the Output Devices Supported by Profiles
- iPod, iPod Nano 5G, Touch 3G, iPad
- iPhone, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, OS 3.1
- Xbox, Xbox 360
- Apple TV
- PSP, PS3
- Zune, Zune HD
- Sumsang Vibrant, Captivate
- Android Mobile: DROID2, HTC Aria, etc.
- LG Prime
- BlackBerry, Torch 9800
- Window Mobile device: Pocket PC, Dell Axim X51, HP iPaq hw6500 series, etc.
- General MP4 players: Archos, Creative Zen, iRiver, etc.