I can’t believe the day has finally come but it’s here. Our 1 year anniversary! Back last December 3rd I started this blog almost as a bookmarking system for myself. I posted about things that I thought would be interesting to go back and read about in the future. Little did I know that it would turn out to be what it has.
I laugh when I look back at some of the posts because they are so poorly written, and I would like to think that my writing habits have gotten a lot better since then. I’m a Computer Engineer so I am in no way an English major, but I have tried to learn from my weaknesses.
CyberNet News started as a hobby and I was casually posting 2-3 times a day until around June when I decided to kick it up a notch. Then in July we moved over from a shared Web server to a dedicated one that is hosted by Cari.net. They were one of the few server solutions that offered reasonable pricing. Right now we have a Pentium 4 Hyperthreaded PC (1GB RAM, 160GB hard drive) that purrs like a kitten. It is nice to have the power to SSH into our own server and install anything that we want. Not only that but the support that Cari.net offers is tremendous. If I ever have a problem that I’m trying to troubleshoot I just give them a call, and I don’t think I can recall a single time that I have been put on hold. In my book they are a company that cares about their customers.
In that same time frame we started keeping track of our statistics. Yes, I know, no one can believe that I never knew how many visitors we were getting before then but that wasn’t what pushed me to write. Technology is something I’m passionate about, and that is my motivation. For those of you who are curious as to what our stats look like, here is a brief overview that is for July to December of 2006:
- 1.306 million unique visitors (31% of those people have visited the site more than once)
- 2.239 million page views
- Our most viewed page is the homepage with 126,000 unique visitors followed closely by the article on making XP look like Vista with 117,000 unique visitors
- Browser choice:
- 63% use Firefox
- 26% use Internet Explorer
- 4% use Safari
- 4% use Opera
- 73% of you are using Cable/DSL and there are still 8% that have dial-up
- Where are the visitors coming from?
- 405,000 from Digg
- 51,000 from Stubleupon
- 8,000 from the Gooogle Personalized Homepage
- 7,000 from the Google Reader
- What are the most popular search engines?
- 71,000 visitors from a Google search
- 39,000 visitors from a Yahoo search
- 21,000 visitors from a MSN search
- Most popular search phrases:
- “cybernet news” with 5,000 hits
- “cybernetnews” with 4200 hits
- “cybernet” with 2600 hits
- The most popular non-CyberNet related search terms are “best antivirus” with 1400 results and “make xp look like Vista” with 1300
Ashley joined me in writing in the middle of this year and together we have a lot of fun building up the site and making it a great community to start discussions. Right now we are trying to figure out ways to optimize our advertising so that we can pursue this site as a full-time career which is something we both really want to do.
Thanks again to all of our dedicated readers because you help make the discussions on the blog and in the forum more enjoyable! Alright…now onto the good stuff…
Alright, we want to thank all of our readers for helping us grow and in light of the holiday season (and our 1-year anniversary) we decided to give away a $100 gift certificate to Amazon.com. It is open to everyone worldwide (except where prohibited, of course) and the gift certificate will be delivered via email. We’re going to run this until Thursday and announce the winner on Friday morning…meaning you will have plenty of time to put in a holiday order from Amazon.
So what do you have to do? We thought about having people send in videos of themselves disco dancing while dressed like Cher, but we didn’t want to take away everyone’s dignity. So all you have to do is post a comment below (be sure to include your email address in the email address field if your not a registered user) and tell us one of (or both if you would like) the following things:
- What’s your favorite article?
- How did you come across CyberNet?
On Thursday we’ll randomly select one of the comments (we will only count one comment in the drawing if you submit a comment more than once) and then Friday morning the winner is announced and they’ll receive the gift certificate via the provided email address.