opera gmail-1.pngOne thing that Google is quite adamant on is making sure that you’re using a browser they officially support, and more times than not Opera users are left in the dark. The new Gmail interface is no exception. If you try visiting the email service in Opera you’ll be forced to use the old-school version of Gmail that doesn’t have color-coded labels, among other things.

If you’re using Opera 9.5 Beta you’ll be happy to know that the new Gmail works pretty well… if you know how to get to it. We’ve previously talked about how you can bypass browser detection in Gmail, and it’s as simple as pointing Opera to:

mail.google.com/gmail?nocheckbrowser

You’ll also want to bookmark that URL so that you have quick access to it in the future, but by using that you should be able to gain access to what’s commonly called Gmail 2. If you don’t see the new stuff right away you’ll want to click the “Newer Version” link in the upper-right corner.

I’m sure many of you are wondering why the heck Google is blocking Opera from using the new interface if it works so well. First off the current stable build of Opera (version 9.27) has some serious issues with Gmail 2. I couldn’t even compose a message using it. Opera 9.5 is a heck of a lot better, but that’s still in Beta, and so Google isn’t going to officially support that yet. Although even in Opera 9.5 Beta the contact manager doesn’t work quite right.

Unfortunately fixing the remaining Gmail 2 problems lies in the hands of the Opera developers, because Google obviously doesn’t see enough value in making their services fully compatible with Opera. The main functionality works fine in Opera 9.5 Beta, but you’ll have to remember to use the special URL above if you want to get the latest and greatest Gmail 2 features.

Thanks for the tip Cody!

1. I’ve tried very hard to use Opera, but it seems to be I’m allergic to this browser. There’s no way I can get used to it. Instead I love Flock and Firefox. Sorry Opera!

2. Omar Upegui wrote:

I used to love it because of how good the performance is, and it never looked like Mozilla was going to crack down on some of their performance problems. When pulling up news everyday we typically have dozens of tabs open at any given time, and it was the only browser that could efficiently handle that. I’m glad to say that Firefox 3 now actually uses less memory than Opera, and that makes me very happy! Flock is actually the worst for me. ;)

3. Thank you so much for that tip! Not having the color labels was driving me crazy to the point that I sometimes started Firefox to go to my Gmail.

Not anymore lol!

4. “Google obviously doesn’t see enough value in making their services fully compatible with Opera.”

Same with Yahoo!… Heck, Y!Mail doesn’t seem to even start in Opera9.5 anymore. That problem (not just for Y! but many sites) is the main reason I’m writing this comment in Fx3.

5. Using Opera 9.5b (s10014 those times), Op. E-mail built-im client handles everything of my gmail account. In the rare occasions I want to run the Gmail2 interface, to check the space I use on the almost 7go for instance, from Op. I go to my iGoogle perso page, from which is the direct link to my mailbox and gmail2. I never had a problem with that, even with former snapshots of 9.5, so maybe I’ve not understood what you meant in the article. It’s also true I never use official stable Opera, but always 9.5 series.
    For me, there is not a problem between Opera 9.5 and Google in general, and with Gmail2 particularly. I could not afford that for this feature, Opera hanling my gmail mails, is my daily work famework.

6. I use both FF3 and Opera 9.5 beta. I have to say that while in FF beta 5 the memory usage was lower than in Opera 9.5 b2, it now seems to me that FF RC1 uses more memory than Opera.

Ryan, is it my understanding that FF 3 runs some memory clearing cycles every xx minutes? If this is the case -and correct me if I’m wrong- I find Opera 9.5 b2 much more efficient in constantly trying to use as less RAM as possible, rather than run some cycles every now and then. I often have the Task Manager open and RC1 does use more RAM than Operan 9.5b2 on my sytem (this wasn’t the case with FF 3 b5 though).

Hopefully, when both browsers get out of beta, we will have some new tests. I do think that we all got over-enthusiastic with the low memory usage of FF 3 (I even rushed to the Mozillazine Forums to thank the developers!), something tells me things will change when both products reach their final stage. The improvements with each new snapshot of Opera 9.5 are amazing: more responsive JavaScript (now faster than FF3), lighter EV, new really quick startup time (last snapshot), etc.

7. Curiously enough GMail always worked perfectly fine for me in Opera 9.2x. It works even better with [code.google.com] With it I’m able to use the new version without any special URL ;)

It seems that during the past months, sites compatibility with Opera has increased greatly. Sites that almost did not work, like Yahoo! Mail or Windows Live Mail now work decently, not as good as Firefox, but they’re definitely usable.

8. netster007x wrote:

What’s crazy is that the response for both companies would be something along the lines of the marketshare not being high enough. From a percentage standpoint it might look small, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that millions of people still use the browser.

jacques wrote:

I’m sure there are quite a few Opera users who just choose to use the built-in mail client, but there’s probably an equal number that would rather use the web site.

Cody wrote:

For me the two are about tied now with FF3 RC1. The memory usage has definitely gone up a little since the Beta stage, but from what I’ve seen between the two the difference isn’t all that much.

Lashiec wrote:

So that script must be bypassing the browser check automatically, but it’s interesting that it aims to fix the incompatibilities. I’m gonna have to give that a whirl to see if it fixes the contact manager for me.

9. In their today stage dev, Op and FF are now a question of personnal taste more than a question of which uses more or less or which can do what the others cannot.
    I personnaly rely completly on Opera 9.50b (s10034 to day), its vista integration is perfect and its loading speed has always been its strength. Last snapshot is about 83% on Acid 3 Test, best results among others browsers, and loading time has still decreased a bit in this last snapshot.
    For a loading time of iGoogle p.page for instance, it’s at least three times faster than IE7. Or may be more…

10. jacques wrote:
    its loading speed has always been its strength.

One of my favorite features in Opera is how fast it starts up. It’s almost instantaneous!

11. I must say that’s my favorite feature too, Ryan. Now we’ve all got high-speed connections,and fast machines, browsers too must be at the level.
    The “you have not to wait” feature of Op. is now really a time gain!
    For me, Opera is a still living long love story…for such a long time…

12. AWESOME, IT WORK
    now, to make it automatically redirect to this page whenever i log on…

13. last release 10063, i.e.Op.9.50 stable release has fixed all those little nifty bugs remaining.
    Default standard skin is quite nice and loads in a second.
    With some Opera widgets, like fvideo-downloader and some more, everything current may be done from within Opera.
    And speed, speed.
    For me definitivly the best on Vista.

14. jacques wrote:

Does the contact manager work for you? It still has some troubles for me when I begin selecting some of the contacts.

15. Ryan, I’ve been using contacts features for three days now since your post and I must say I’ve got no issue with contact management.
    I add and fill contacts properties forms, no lack. I just click a contact to send a mail to him/her. Muti contacts in the “to” raw works ok (auto suite of contacts in <>,) as for Cc and Bcc lines.
    The only thing I can tell you is that I speak here of Op on my professional laptop (Vista), and on this laptop, with an Office suite, some translation tools, Visual studio express, Google earth, it’s my main app on it. Maybe this has an incidence. I could (exagerating) say Op is almost alone on the system. Can you describe the issues you get with contacts management?

16. jacques wrote:

One of the most obvious issues I have with the contact management is when I click on a checkbox next to a contact all of the other contacts pretty much disappear. So I really can’t select more than one contact.