manage ipod Not everybody who owns an iPod is a fan of everything that comes out of Apple, including iTunes. Thankfully there are many alternatives to manage your iPod should you not want to use iTunes. Today we’re going to take a look at some of the programs available for adding music to your iPod without iTunes.Some of the options listed below are only compatible with Windows. If by chance you are using Linux, you’ll want to reference our article that offers six tools to manage your iPod on Linux systems.

Before you dive into exploring with the options below, you’ll want to enable your iPod as a portable hard drive.  Apple has created a tutorial that explains how to do this, and it’s very simple. You can find that tutorial here, and once you’ve got that set-up, you can start playing around with the four different iTunes alternatives below.

–Anapod Explorer–

Created by Red Chair Software, Anapod Explorer is great for managing the content on your iPod through Windows Explorer. Your iPod will show up as a device in “My Computer” and from there you can drag and drop your media content! You also have right-click menus with the option to copy and paste, and “send to” menus.

Unfortunately this isn’t a free option.  Anapod is currently offered as Shareware and will cost about $30 to buy. It is compatible with Windows 98, ME, 200, XP, and Vista.
Purchase Link

–Floola–

Unlike Anapod, Floola is a freeware option. You can manage your iPod using the software, and it’s compatible with Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows (including Vista). Using Floola you can copy both music and videos to your iPod and from your iPod on just about any computer. Aside from offering the basic iPod management, Floola is capable of helping you manage your music and play lists, and it also checks for duplicate songs. If it finds a duplicate, it will remove it.

Once you download the application, you’ll drag it onto your iPod, and then you’ll be able to use Floola wherever you go!

Download Link

–Winamp iPod Plugin–

Winamp is a popular media player that can also be used to manage your iPod.  If you’re using an older version of Winamp, you’ll be required to download the iPod plug-in if you’d like it to work. If you’re using a recent version, you’re all set to go.  Getting your music on your iPod is as simple as adding your music to Winamp and right-clicking to choose the option to send your music to your iPod.

Download Link

–XPlay–

Xplay is yet another option for managing your iPod.  It’s a drag and drop application which makes it easy for you to get your music on your iPod. You can also automatically synchronize your iPod with your music selection on your computer Unfortunately this is another manager that will cost you money, but they do have a free trial version available for you to play with.

Download Link

1. Way cool. itunes is the reason I haven’t purchased an ipod yet. My personal attitude of itunes is about the same as a virus. This is way cool.

2. Yeah, iTunes is definitely a big drawback for me. I have an iPod and I refuse to use iTunes with it. :)

3. Oab2 wrote:

There are definitely plenty of ways to get around using iTunes, you just need to find the one that works best for you. :)

4. Is there a free Windows Media player iPod plugin?? :)

5. This is such a coincidence coz I just dumped iTunes and started using an incredibly simple utility on my shuffle a few hours back.

It’s a shuffle-only utility called iPod shuffle Database Builder [[shuffle-db.sourceforge.net]] – all you have to do is:
    - Set up your shuffle to be used as a portable device in iTunes.
    - Dump the standalone utility in the shuffle root folder.
    - Just copy songs into the shuffle like you would to any portable drive using whatever folder hierarchy you prefer (I use Foobar2000′s file operations).
    – Run the standalone utility from the shuffle, it makes the songs you copied playable almost instantly! Sweet!

6. PS: The utility is Windows only but there’s a python script created by the same people that does a lot more, you have to be able to run Python (a 10MB download) on the connected PC, but it also means it’ll work on every major OS. The script is being actively developed unlike the win32 binary, which is another plus.

7. That is cool tip, I have always wondered how to do that as I am eying the new nano.

8. Wow, I’m the opposite I guess. iTunes is the reason I purchased an iPod 3-4 years ago.

I can see where some people dislike iTunes though and this is a very useful post. Stumbled!

9. A couple more options. Mediamonkey to manage your iPod similarly to iTunes. It’s an installable app that you run from a PC.

If you want something smaller that you can run as a single file executable from the iPod itself try Yamipod.

If you just want a quick little player, that will also let you extract but not add music to your iPod, then PodPlayer works awesome.

10. Guys, watch out for Floola…It always gave me errors when I tried to delete music with it…so it’s more or less a one way deal, only.

11. Everything is always iPod. But what about the Creative Zen? Creative invented the iPod and get’s no recogintion. Zen’s are better than iPods.

A great music management softwware that works with iPods, Zens or other players is MediaMonkey. I use it to put music on my Zen. Download it free at [mediamonkey.com]

• I know I’m quite the latecomer here, but I’d like to say that I agree with you, Davin. I have had a Zen for 4-5 years now, and I LOVE it. It is user-friendly and durable. Unfortunately, I’ve had to acquire an iPod Touch as it is the least expensive way for me to accept credit card payments for my new business. Though I am a craft vendor at various conventions, I am a musician by trade and sell my CD at the conventions. I thought it would be nice to have the tracks on the iPod to let my customers listen without having to pull out a separate device. It’s good to know I can get the tracks on my iPod without having to download iTunes specifically for that purpose.

12. The iPod plugin for Winamp is really easy to use.

Of course I’m using Amarok now.

13. Anonymous wrote:
    Is there a free Windows Media player iPod plugin?? :)

Not that I’ve seen. I’ve looked around for such a thing but never found something that worked the way you would expect.

Nosh wrote:

That sounds pretty interesting, unfortunately not many people will want to install Python to use it.

KylesCove wrote:

I just don’t like it because it is a bit bloated, and doesn’t fit in well into Windows. They tried too hard to make Windows users feel like they are using a Mac.

Kent Bunn wrote:

I know several people that are diehard MediaMonkey fans. They use it all the time and swear by it.

DKong wrote:

Thanks for the heads up DKong. I haven’t tried this app out myself, but was going to give it a whirl this weekend. I probably still try it out though.

Davin Peterson wrote:

Well, it’s simply a matter of popularity. Sure the Zens might be popular but they don’t have the marketshare and don’t have the tools available to them. It’s like us writing about Firefox vs. Internet Explorer. There just isn’t much to write about with the Zens since people don’t make a lot of apps specifically to work with them.

The How-To Geek wrote:
    The iPod plugin for Winamp is really easy to use.

It seems to be the most stable way for people to synchronize their iPods. A lot of the other tools that I’ve used just aren’t as stable, and have caused my iPod to go corrupt. Winamp is a powerful solution that has never failed me.

14. May I ask what iTunes alternative you favour? Perhaps you didn’t want to swing anyone’s choice. I just wonder what you have had best success with.

I am really on the edge of submitting to an ipod. For a couple of years I have used iAudio x5. It has been great, but now the battery life is failing and I am looking for an alternative. It’s hard to argue with the new ipod classic – 80gb for £150? It is a hugely attractive offer!

My other quibble would be that installing itunes appears to be a necessity. Your link to the “how to…” shows that in order to enable the hard drive one needs to have itunes installed. That’s a bit of a pain for anyone that wants to steer clear of itunes altogether.

Finally – sorry to go on – it seems that the new ipod releases are fitted with some sort of system to make it even more difficult to use it with an alternative to itunes.

15. I’m not sure how well it works with the newer iPods, but my preference to applications is Winamp. It’s definitely one of the best media managers available, and I like being able to take my music off of my iPod as easily as I put it on. I would definitely check that out if you really don’t want to use iTunes.

16. Really i ddnt mind itunes, bt mi mom ddnt like it so na i hav ta tink of a nu idea and this site has reali help me thx

17. i know how to upload music on my ipod, the problem is lately it hangs too long and a message pops out and it says “the ipod cannot be synced. The required file is locked.” what could be the Problem?

any advice? tnx

18. Xpod worked exactly as I wanted. Simple and easy! I tried Sharepod, and it didn’t work. I don’t like to use iTunes, because for some reason, it says it “cannot find iPod”??? THE IPOD IS RIGHT INFRONT OF YOU STUPID COMPUTER!!! Oh well. I’m happy xPod worked!

19. how can i add music to my ipod :?:and free

20. Nice article!

Another good way is to use CopyTrans Manager ([copytrans.net])

It’s free and fast, I really love it.

21. yeah this is excellent im using xplay works like a charm itunes is way to frustrating

22. I see that in order for anyone to use an iPod without iTunes… they first have to install iTunes just to set the iPod as a portable hard drive.

Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of rejecting iTunes?

How can one use an iPod, fresh out of the box, without *EVER* seeing/touching/using iTunes?

23. I did not download itunes and i am able to add music to my i pod using copy trans……….

24. pretty cool…winamp wrks reali nycly…but i wnt the new ipod classic…its just 2 gud…soo much space :D …but yea..itunes…i dnt mynd..but it can get annoying… D: thnx u’s 4 the article…real helpful.

25. i just something that can upload downloaded music 2 my ipod…. im installing winamp,,, gonna c how it goes

26. This is cool, but i wanted a way to put music onto my ipod without installing any program on my computer.

27. A frustrated person

All if these are for WINDOWS! REGARDLESS of what the description days! To the author: READ THE SUPPORTED OS’s BEFORE TELLING US IT WOTKS WITH MAC OSX!!!