Touchpad Mouse I’ve never really understood why the idea of creating a laptop that includes a third mouse button never really took off. Would it be all that bad to have some miniature button squeezed in between the left and right buttons on the touchpad?

The middle mouse button is important to me because I use it to activate special actions in all kinds of different applications, especially in my browser. I can middle-click on a tab to close it, or middle-click on a hyperlink to have it open in a new background tab. That kind of functionality is hard to give up once you’ve become accustomed to it, but so many laptop users just forget about it. Well, not me!

–Two Button Middle Click–

I’ve heard that most laptops simulate a middle mouse button when the user presses both the left and right buttons at the same time. I was initially excited, and thought that this would cure all of my problems. Unfortunately, it has never worked on any laptops I’ve tried.

That was my ideal solution, and I searched like a mad monkey trying to find a way to make it happen. To my dismay I was on my own because Google didn’t come through for me. Then it dawned on me that I could easily do this myself with an AutoHotKey script! In fact it only took two lines of code:

~LButton & RButton::MouseClick, Middle
~RButton & LButton::MouseClick, Middle

That essentially checks to see if both mouse buttons have been pressed down at the same time, and if they have then simulate a middle-click of the mouse. Pretty cool, huh? I also put it together in a standalone application that you can throw in your Windows Startup folder without needing to have AutoHotKey installed:

Download the Middle-Click Simulator

There is one downside to using this though. If you use a Rocker mouse gesture (holding down one mouse button and pressing the other) to navigate in an application, such as going backward/forward in a browser, you’ll be disappointed to know that it will no longer work. I’m not quite sure how I can circumvent that problem in the script, but for right now I would rather have the middle-click simulation available. It is possible to “pause” the script (a.k.a. temporarily deactivate it) from the System Tray icon if needed though.

–Middle Click Tap Zone–

Some mouse software also lets you setup a “zone” that you can tap on the touchpad to serve as the middle mouse button. Below is a screenshot from my Synaptics TouchPad configuration screen which shows that I’m about to assign the bottom-left corner of my touchpad to the middle-click action.

Middle-Click Tap Zone

1. Thanks for this…I was wondering how or if I could do this just last night on my brand new lappy. Read my mind. :P

2. I never really use the left button since tapping the pad does the same job. So my left is assigned as right-click, and my right button is assigned as middle-click, there you go !

3. Check out PowerPro. It can do these and more easily w/o using multiple programs.

4. The Middle-Click Simulator is very well working. Thank you very much.

5. I use the rocker gesture to navigate between tabs in Opera. Right-Left for next tab, Left-Right for previous tab.

TBH, it should be default and everyone should be taught this shortcut and worship me as its inventor. :mrgreen:

6. I have the two buttons however, I rarely have to use them. Pressing both buttons at the same time does not give me the middle click function, pressing two fingers on the pad itself however does the middle-click action.

7. I’ve been using both buttons to simulate middle button for ages. It’s a standard feature of Logitech’s touchpads. Nevertheless, isn’t a wireless mouse a better opt?

8. Glad this has helped a bunch of people! :)

Anonymous wrote:

That would take a lot of getting used to for me.

Sridhar Katakam wrote:

I didn’t see anything in PowerPro that would let me configure my touchpad for the middle mouse button though.

Ward wrote:

I do love that gesture as well, but I use middle click more. I normally use the backspace key for navigating backwards anyway.

Ritter wrote:

That’s pretty cool, I wish my laptop’s touchpad did that.

funTomas wrote:

I normally have an external mouse hooked up to my laptop, but there are always instances where it is not. When I’m on a plane, or in a public area it can be touch to whip out a mouse and have room to use it.

9. Very nice utility.
    Unfortunately it only seems to detect clicks, and therefore doesn’t allow middle-button drags.
    Would anyone have a solution for that?

10. I only created it to detect clicking. I don’t see any way that I could simulate a drag using AutoHotKey.

• You’re the man! Can’t you configure it to do not turn off the scrolling mode when you unpress the buttons?? PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!! Take care!

11. Ritter wrote:

I recently found out I had this function on my touch pad and three fiingers at once activates the right click. I can’t believe I’ve never realized this no my laptop. I think they need to supply a book with the laptop outlining what all the unique shortcut are.

12. David wrote:
    Ritter wrote:

I wouldn’t mind having that feature, but unfortunately my laptop doesn’t support that.

13. Thanx a lot for that autohotkey script…….it is really cool…..thanx once again

14. I have a Dell, and I have been trying to use the “both buttons for middle” for about a year, and couldn’t get it to work (thought I was just clumsy). I just went into the touchpad setup (appears as an icon in the taskbar) and on the “buttons” tab, there was a drop down to define the meaning of both buttons. So I set it to “middle button click”, et voila, I now have middle button click. This is very important to me since I am a programmer, and the systems that I work on use highlight and middle click to cut and paste code (very fast) and also commands. Since I work from home some, I really needed that middle click. So I hope you have a dell – now you can set this up!

15. Thank you very much :lol:

16. if you use firefox , try instaclick addon .

17. Thank you so much, I just bought a new laptop that doesn’t do this automatically and was really upset about it.

18. Thank you!!! It was driving me crazy for a while that Synaptics got rid of the middle-click gesture for their touchpad drivers. But now that I found this, I can be at peace again. Works like a charm on Windows Server 2008 x64!

19. Wow. That works really well, thanks dude! Ever since i got my ibm thinkpad, i missed the middle click on my mouse/touchpad. all it does is scroll :(. but now i can open tabs again =]! thanks

20. Thanks much for the application; I was getting incredibly sick and tired of having to right click > Open New Tab in Firefox on my Windows partition, not to mention having no way of using the navigation buttons to open in a new tab.
    I blame Synaptics, for phasing out functionality, especially annoying on touchpads that are too sensitive to use tapping

21. :P Hey many thanks to you

22. First of all thanks very much for this.

I’m wondering, what is the difference between ‘suspend hotkeys” and pause script?

Also, I wish there was a way to kill the icon, I’m not a fan of taskbar icons lol.

All in all, very good work. Thanks so much!

23. If anyones using the synaptics touchpad and has found your middle click with the two buttons doesn’t work after you’ve installed the new drivers, its because they are trying to phase it out
    best just to stick with the old driver

[support.us.dell.com]

24. Thanks a lot for the useful post….
    m also quite addicted to the middle button…
    was quite frustrated when i felt that the functionality will be no more with me in the laptop…
    but then found this post of yours and it made my day… !! :)

i had the tap zone functionality in my laptop but never knew about it… ;)

thanks again..

25. This works great for opening bookmarks in new tabs, but when I use it for hyperlinks, it opens it twice. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks

26. I’ve been using “Middle-Click Simulator” successfully for two years with IE.

I just switched to Firefox (3.5), and have the same problem just reported above. Using the simulated middle click on a hyperlink opens the site twice: once in a new background tab, but also in the current tab.

27. Another option is to use the HasBothButtonFeature registry value in Synaptics Software registry. Google for ‘HasBothButtonFeature’, you’ll find detailed instruction.

28. Thank you very much, had been a pain in the butt to put dimensions in my pro/e

29. Just what i needed thanks

30. Many thanks! This is just what I needed for fast picture browsing! =)

31. COMODO Internet Security picks it up as a trojan. Probably just overreacting.
    I installed it anyway.

Thanks for the great script!

32. This script is great! But the only think is that I can’t use the forward and backward mouse gesture in Opera like you said.
    Thanks a lot!

33. Hey

Thanks for this. Since upgrading to Windows 7 and using the newer Synaptics driver I haven’t had middle click in Windows. Ridiculously annoying!

Cheers
    Michael

34. For those using 64 bit windows 7 & Vista:

support.dell.com click drivers and choose Inspiron laptop 1570, choose your OS and download the synaptics touchpad driver.

Enjoy Middle clicking without extra software.

35. I love this. But how can I uninstall the Middle Click Simulator once it is installed?

Thanks.

36. I made a slight modification to allow easier row selection in MS Access. In Access, if you want to select several rows and perform an action (such as copy) it is typically easiest to select the rows and then, while holding the left mouse button, right click. Failing to continue to hold the left mouse button results in a selection change (even without the original script). In order to combat this I used the following script:

~LButton & ~RButton::MouseClick, Middle
    ~RButton & ~LButton::MouseClick, Middle

The extra ‘~’ allows both buttons to ‘pass through’ even while also executing the middle click. The downside is that in other applications (say middle clicking on a link in a browser) you will also get the context menu. This will drive some people nuts but it’s a fair compromise if you have have an application that misbehaves like Access.

Using double right click as a middle click might also work for some. This will still show the context menu but will also clear it for you. The code would is modified slightly from here:
    [autohotkey.com]

~RButton::
    If (A_PriorHotkey != A_ThisHotkey OR A_TimeSincePriorHotkey > 500)
    Return
    Sleep 250 ; give time for the context menu to appear
    Send {Esc} ; close it
    Mouseclick, middle
    Return

37. Thank you soooo much for this!

38. Thank you so much, I was really missing my middle-click :)

39. thanks a lot! i needed this for a program that required the middle mouse button.

40. You, sir, are a god. Thanks a quadzillion for this.

41. omg thank you thank you I am starting to create 3d models in Maya and dont have a mmb since i am using a laptop….searched all over and couldnt find solution until this….loads of Maya funtions require mmb so this is awesome!

42. Thanks. Got the middle click working with Synaptic tap properties.

43. nice app, but it doesnt really solve the problem, as clicking the buttons is a bit tedious, as opposed to tapping with two fingers to get the middle click action. can anybody tell my why the hell would they ditch this feature? O_o

this is beyond my comprehension. what kind of retard would remove such a feature? and why? O_o human stupidity will never cease to amaze me… god.

44. I love you!
    I love you!
    I love you :)

45. Heyo! I tried your little app but I found that even though it did open a link in a new tab, the right click options would still open up as well, which was annoying.

But I’m still glad I found your page! It didn’t even occur to me to use the tapping zones for middle click, so you’ve really saved me from faffing about for ages. Thanks a bunch!

46. AHHHHHHHHH Not frigin working, my right click works and all but myu left doesnt, my touchpad moves but doesnt click and i tried ajusting the settings so that my right click clicked instead of my left but then the right stopped working to until i changed it again and im stuck with a ginormous tabletand mouse that only wors on top of the tablet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GGGGAHHHH i went to school one day and it was working fine, i came backa nd it hasnt worked since. I don’t know what hapeened!

47. dude, simple do control + left click = middle click

48. omg this helped so much thank you!

49. I have an HP Envy 17 3D with Synaptics V7.4 and couldn’t solve the middle-click problem. I found this thread and was about to try the suggestion. Then I tried Shift – Left Click it worked for me. It came to me because I was frustrated with Windows 7 regarding opening Firefox – I wanted to be able to have several browser windows open. The Firefox solution was Shift – Left Click.

Hope this might help some people.

50. Im a ProE user…. I love everyone here…. HasBothButtonFeature did the trick for me… now if I could do a zoom scroll with the touchpad on my lenovo t500 just like I do it with my regular mouse wheel…

51. thanks it helped me, God bless

52. Thanks Ryan..
    I was missing middle click in lappy for long time.. Your post was very useful. Also thanks for the small program.

53. OH MY GOSH
    I’ve been searching for this solution everywhere
    I thought I’d have to buy a mouse before my assignment was due tomorrow morning :P but I guess not :)
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

54. Wow, thanks, I’ve been looking for this for so long!

55. Thanks man….for the Tap Zone suggestion …it was an amazing suggestion.

56. Thank you for this..although I can use ctrl+rt clk on my laptop, I prefer to use your application. My lappy is so happy.

57. Thank you sooo much for making it into an exe!!! really helped a lot!!!

58. Dude,how am i supposed to undo it, i am unable to play arkham city because of it. plz tell me a way to undo it.

59. Actually, if it is about functionalities like closing tabs, opening links in new pages and so on.. it would be more plausible to use keyboard shortcuts, which will be faster and you can easily move from the keyboard to the mousepad and v.v. when on a laptop.

I am using ubuntu, and my HP’s touchpad is a bit sensitive, so it sometimes pastes things according to where the mouse is.. because on linux, the middle click pastes what’s in the clipboard.. and its annoying :x

60. Thanks man! I have a laptop and most of my games require middle click!

61. you are amazing!!!! thank you very mush!
    I had asus r101d 10″(netbook) which have that function on it and by the time I use to it a lot. when I get new netbook I get so frustrated because its synaptics touchpad don`t have that function,even I tried a few various driver….
    thanks again,you do great thing in my opinion!

62. Thank you very much, it works like a charm, I hated not having it!

63. Download link: 404 error, “page not found”. Is there a safe download link elsewhere?

64. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

65. Thank you so much for this explanation.
    I’ve try to change the setting of the tapping as explained.
    however, the “confiure” button is gray out! how can I make it work?

Thanks again!

66. The script doesn’t quite work for me. If I Left+Right click a link in firefox, it opens it up in a new tab (as per Middle Click expected behaviour) *and* follows the link on the current page (as per Left Click expected behaviour).

I think I’m going to have to get used to using Ctrl+LeftClick in Firefox for opening tabs in the background, and clicking the “X” on a tab to close. Me sad :(

67. Thanks for your mentioning middle click tap zone. I had Ubuntu and wasn’t aware of such zone on top right corner of my touchpad.

68. well would you look at that

69. Middle click = super-L plus + click.

Very nice.

70. The Middle-Click Simulator is very well working. Thank you very much.

71. Thank you so much! I was used to the middle mouse button simulation in linux and it drove me nuts in windows. No I can surf the internet in peace :)

72. The Middle-Click Simulator is very well working. Thank you very much.