opera ie render.png

If you’re using Firefox there is a very good chance that you’ve heard of the IE Tab extension. For many of us it helped ease the burden of switching to Firefox as the primary browser back when developers didn’t see Firefox as a viable alternative. That is not nearly as big of a problem as it once was.

Opera, on the other hand, is still struggling with the same issues. People are forced to use multiple browsers because of website incompatibilities, but the good news is that there is now something similar to IE Tab for Opera. Once everything is setup you’ll be able to view websites directly in Opera using Internet Explorer as the rendering engine, which can be seen in the screenshot above. Here’s what you have to do:

1. Download and install the free Neptune plugin. I know, the registration system is a pain in the butt. It’s okay to enter in fake information, but it checks to make sure it’s not something blatantly fake. You’ll be given the download link after the registration… it’s not emailed to you.
  2. Now we need to copy the plugin into the Opera directory. Here’s where you will find the plugin that you need to copy (in the default installation directory):
    C:\Program Files\MeadCo Neptune\npmeadax.dll
  3. Once you’ve copied the plugin go ahead and paste it into this location:
    C:\Program Files\Opera\program\plugins
  4. And finally you’ll want to add a “View in IE” button to your toolbar so that you can quickly switch to the Internet Explorer view. There are two different buttons that you can add: one that opens the site in the current tab, and one that opens in a new tab. Pick which one you would like from the OperaWiki, and just drag it onto one of your toolbars.

Having installed it myself I can say that it works very well. It’s a little slower at rendering sites than Opera, but I’m sure that is more of Internet Explorer’s fault rather than the plugin. If you’ve been holding off on using Opera because of site compatibility hopefully this will do the trick for you!

Neptune [via Download Squad]
Thanks for the tip “S”!

1. ietab for opera
    safari tab(webkit tab)for opera
    Firefox tab(gecko tab) for opera

all major rendering engines in one browser would be cool

2. I tried w/ Opera9.5b2 and IE8b1 installed. When I click the button, the browser title says “using Internet Explorer rendering,” and it tries to load the page, but it stays blank white. What platforms are u using? I actually tried this plugin many months ago trying to get Y!Mail to work, but no dice then. I hoped this would be a working updated version, and I would love to be able to use Opera w/out the constant pain of it’s greatest downfall, site compatibility.

3. S wrote:
    ietab for opera
    safari tab(webkit tab)for opera
    Firefox tab(gecko tab) for opera

all major rendering engines in one browser would be cool

That would be awesome, but I don’t think we’ll be seeing that for quite some time. ;)

netster007x wrote:

I gave it a whirl on my machine that has Opera 9.27 and IE 7 installed under Vista. It’s tough to say which browser would be causing the issues, but I would put my money on IE. Maybe try putting IE8 in the IE7 render mode to see if that helps.

4. After a bit of testing I found the problem is Opera9.5b2. Opera9.2 worked perfectly w/ either IE7 or 8 rendering, while Opera9.5b2 didn’t work w/ either. It seemed to be rendering the pages in the background, and even loaded a script error pop-up, but the page remained blank. Hopefully Opera9.5 (or the developer) will fix this soon.

5. netster007x wrote:

Huh, that’s good to know as I was going to be trying it out on Opera 9.5 tonight. I wonder if this is Opera’s fault or something the developer of the plugin will have to fix.

6. IE Tab always freaked me out at the prospect of having the IE engine (with everything that implies) in Firefox… and now in Opera :?. I’ll keep using “Open in…”.

BTW, the about page mentions that it’s also usable with Firefox and Safari.

7. It’s a bug to fix in the plug-in, as long as I know from Opera community.
    IEtab is ok with 9.2 latest versions, but not with 9.5 ones.
    It needs to be fixed, regarding kestrel.

8. Lashiec wrote:
    BTW, the about page mentions that it’s also usable with Firefox and Safari.

Yep, it does say that it works with some other browsers, but I didn’t bother to try it in them. Safari support isn’t that big of a deal since it will obviously only work with the Windows version, and Firefox users already have IE Tab.

9. Strange, I got it to work by going to a site, clicking the “View in IE” button, hitting [Back], then hitting [forward]. That way I was able to emulate IE in Opera9.5b2 for my biggest Opera problem site, Y!Mail. It worked well (neglecting that I was running two browsers recourse-wise). The biggest annoyance was if I clicked a post on the built-in RSS reader, a new IE window popped up. Overall it’s a bit of a hassle.

I’ve really been drifting towards Fx lately. Fx3 has finally gotten a couple cool features, and it’s faster and more stable than IE, as well as now universally supported.

10. It works ok for me in Opera 9.5 beta 2, I just have to click the button twice.

11. netster007x wrote:

Same here actually. Firefox 3 has really improved on their performance which was one of my biggest complaints. I find myself using it as my primary browser these days, but I still have Opera on the sidelines.

andersonshatch wrote:
    It works ok for me in Opera 9.5 beta 2, I just have to click the button twice.

Good to know.

12. How exactly do you add a “View in IE” button to your my Opera Toolbar?! Really how do you do that?!

• Just click on one or more of the buttons on the Wiki page then it will be in your buttons in the custom buttons section in Opera. From there drag and drop it where you want it on the toolbar.