amazon kindle.pngIt looks as though Amazon’s Kindle is going to turn out to be more of a success and a moneymaker than many people ever expected. It will be if what CitiGroup analyst Mark Mahaney says is correct. He says that in 2008, Amazon will sell about 380,000 units which is about double of what he originally said would sell. He also compared this to equal the number of iPods that sold during the first year after they were released. Could the Kindle be Amazon’s iPod?

With more units expected to sell, this means an increase in revenue. Mahoney says that by 2010, if sales continue as expected, the Kindle could generate $1.1 billion which translates out to about 4% of all of Amazon’s business. Earlier this year he estimated weaker revenue of $750 million. In the three months leading up to the holiday season this Winter alone, Mahoney says that about 150,000 Kindle units will ship. Not bad!

Up until the Kindle, other companies who have tried to come out with an e-book reader haven’t had much luck. It looks as though Amazon just might have come up with just the right product to be the king of e-book readers…

Source: Electronista

There Are 9 Comments

  1. I would like to buy one but not until I see it and can use it in person, I have many ebooks already and from what I read there are some hoops to jump through to get them onto the kindle. Another reason I am holding back is the DRM that is the deal breaker for me.

  2. tafkajp wrote:
    I would like to buy one but not until I see it and can use it in person, I have many ebooks already and from what I read there are some hoops to jump through to get them onto the kindle. Another reason I am holding back is the DRM that is the deal breaker for me.

    It would be nice to walk in a store and play around with a Kindle to see what it’s like. I’m sure it will eventually get to that, but they were probably seeing how well version 1 would do first.

  3. I have been monitoring the Kindle very closely every since it was first introduced. Its inventory was depleted in a little more than five hours at Amazon—the only place where it’s sold.

    In my opinion, the Kindle really shines in the college campus domain. The option of buying college textbooks at reasonable prices in just about one minute, plus towing 200 textbooks in the palm of your hand is a bait you can’t refuse.

    There are rumors that there is a revamped Kindle in the pipeline. If the new Kindle has more features and a reduced price, it will definitely be a hot product during the Holidays.

  4. Omar Upegui wrote:
    I have been monitoring the Kindle very closely every since it was first introduced. Its inventory was depleted in a little more than five hours at Amazon—the only place where it’s sold.

    Plus it was selling on eBay for about $1,000 if you managed to get your hands on the first batch. That’s crazy, and shows that there is enough demand for it.

  5. You can get a lot of the kindle functionality out of a regular cell phone. Nothing like the screen size or the range of books, but free and easy to carry. If you have internet access go to [mobile.booksinmyphone.com] and a few clicks later you will be up and reading. Also you can install via a PC, and browse books more easily, at [booksinmyphone.com]

  6. @tafkajp:
    You can order one from Amazon and return it for full credit if you do not like it. Amazon will pay the return the freight. I know this because I bought one and did not like it. Returning it was easy and a good experience.

  7. Thanks for the tip Richard. But alas I know myself to well and I would purchase it and if I didn’t like it I would set it aside to return and 6 months later it would still be sitting where I left it.

  8. Richard wrote:
    @tafkajp:
    You can order one from Amazon and return it for full credit if you do not like it. Amazon will pay the return the freight. I know this because I bought one and did not like it. Returning it was easy and a good experience.

    Just out of curiosity, what was it that you didn’t like about the Kindle?

  9. Very nice device, I am planning on getting me one. :D

Leave Your Comment


Message is the only required field.
Emails are not published.