Joomla 1.5 was just released earlier today, and it is a huge milestone for the content management system. There was so much excitement that this morning I had troubles even getting to their site to retrieve some information about the new version. Once we got in we grabbed several screenshots of the improved admin interface and posted them below.
It’s possible that you haven’t heard of Joomla before. It can be compared to blogging software such as WordPress or MovableType, but it includes many more features out-of-the-box. It’s completely open source, and also has an incredible community surrounding them who have helped build thousands of plug-ins. In all it is packed with features that will help manage whatever kind of content you’re looking to post.
–Features Overview (View)–
- Simplified administrative interface
- Improved media manager (multi-delete, batch uploads, etc…)
- Browse media folders and insert images as you write
- More control over pagination
- Search engine friendly URL’s
- Codebase is better organized giving designers 100% control over layouts
- Create a custom module chrome
- Creating templates doesn’t require editing of variables making it simpler to work with
- Now separated into a three tiered stack to keep the internal structure clean and allow developers to leverage the different layers
- Backwards compatible with PHP 4.3, and does support PHP 5
- Document package gives extension develpers control over the entire document rendered on any given page load