We don’t write about too many kid-friendly apps, but this one sure is. Rapid Typing is a freeware application that teaches both adults and kids how to type. It has all kinds of lessons that target specific areas of the keyboard, and the beginning stages even target specific letters. It then branches out to punctuation, entire paragraphs of text, and also the number pad.
After I first started using the app I’d say the simplicity is what stood out the most. Many of the screenshots depicted on the website show a flashy background that kids would surely love, but adults may not. One of the three tabs in the upper-right corner, however, lets you work on a blank canvas when typing so that the text is a bit easier to see.
Aside from that the free typing tool includes most of the features you’d expect:
- Virtual Keyboard – To help you learn how to place your fingers on the keyboard, Typing Tutor will display a virtual keyboard with zone highlights.
- Choose Your Keyboard – There are more types of keyboards than just QWERTY, including AZERTY, ABNT2, and Dvorak to name a few.
- Moving Hands – To make learning even more fun while teaching you how to type correctly, Typing Tutor displays two moving hands over the keyboard.
- Simple and Colorful Interface – Rapid Typing Tutor is not just another boring keyboard training tool. With numerous colorful themes and avatars and a game-like environment, Typing Tutor makes learning typing fun for both adults and children. A built-in typing game makes learning to type an easy and entertaining experience.
- Typing Game – The built-in typing game makes your training more like a game, not studying. Your training will take place under the water. The better typist you become the more colorful creatures you will see.
- Progress Tracking – Evaluate your or your kids’ performance at any time by simply looking at charts! Rapid Typing Tutor tracks your progress, and allows you to see your results at any time. Your statistics are represented as tables and charts, allowing you to see your progress and become motivated for taking yet another lesson.
- Multiple User Support – Multiple users with their personal settings are supported.
So if you or your kids want to learn to type I highly recommend checking on this free and portable (a.k.a. no install) program. At the very least you can check out the Rapid Typing website that includes over 50 online typing games and a simple online typing test.
Rapid Typing Tutor Homepage (Windows only; Freeware/Portable)