the ultimate steal

Microsoft is doing all they can to stop people from pirating their software, especially students. College students today are more tech savvy than ever, and a good handful know how to go about getting software like Microsoft Office 2007 illegally.  Sure, it may take them some time to download the software and find a crack, but they do it willingly because it’s free. And when you’re a college student, free is good. That’s why college students are the focus of Microsoft’s effort to curb piracy by offering them a copy of Office Ultimate 2007 for just $59 bucks. It’s quite the steal, and the program starts today.

Microsoft has an official website setup for it at www.theultimatesteal.com where they currently have a countdown displayed until the program launches at 1:00 PM PDT. If you want, there’s also the option of entering in your email address so that you can get notified when it launches. Considering Office Ultimate 2007 is priced at $500, this really is the ultimate steal for students.

Unfortunately this deal isn’t available to students globally. The Ultimate Steal program from Microsoft is only offered to students with a valid email address from their institution in the United States, Canada, and the UK.  Starting September 20th, it will also be offered in France, Italy, and Spain. Microsoft originally experimented with the program in Australia where they had a lot of positive feedback. The promotion ends on April 30th, 2008 which means students have a good 7+ months to get in on this offer.

So for $59, here’s what you’ll get:

• Word
  • Excel
  • PowerPoint
  • Outlook
  • Access
  • Publisher
  • OneNote
  • Groove
  • InfoPath

Get your Ultimate Steal here if you’re a student with a valid email address.

1. This is awesome! Thanks Ashley! :D

2. Sweet, now only if I could get a “.edu” email address.

3. Or you could smarten up and use open office and Google Docs :evil:

• Yes and then you would get a poorly integrated, third rate “suite” of ill conceived stuff that barely functions. Sorry no “sale.” We’ll stick with stuff that actually works.

4. 60 bucks is *almost* cheap enough for me to consider buying Office NOW.

But back in school, I don’t think I would have paid more than 20.

5. Australia has already had this offer back in May.
    Nice that they are offering it in other countries now.

[goldcoaster.wordpress.com]

6. Google wrote:
    Or you could smarten up and use open office and Google Docs :evil:

If I would have used OpenOffice while in college the instructors would not have accepted my assignments (unless they were saved in Word format).

7. CoryC wrote:
    Google wrote:
    Or you could smarten up and use open office and Google Docs :evil:

Google Doc is……. :D

8. CoryC wrote:
    Sweet, now only if I could get a “.edu” email address.

I’m sure you’re not the only one thinking that :)

bloodsugarwilksm wrote:
    This is awesome! Thanks Ashley! :D

Your welcome!

9. CoryC wrote:
    Sweet, now only if I could get a “.edu” email address.

Well, you could sign up for some cheap course online, and you could probably walk away under $200 :)

Google wrote:
    Or you could smarten up and use open office and Google Docs :evil:

Google Docs is nice, but I program my spreadsheets and stuff with VBA so I have to have Office.

10. $50 bucks should be the friggin’ everyday price and MS knows it.

11. Google:
    You have always been able to save a document as a Word file in OpenOffice. You can even set up Open Office to automatically always save in Word format. At a price tag of $0, Open Office is the real steal.

12. thorbeast wrote:
    Google:

That is true. :D Now if only they would be able to get better Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) support.

13. Google wrote:
    CoryC wrote:
    Google wrote:
    Or you could smarten up and use open office and Google Docs :evil:

Google Doc is……. :D

Received a bachelors in computer science in 2004, before Google docs. ;)

14. I must add that Open office is about the level of MSOffice2000 – v2007 is generations ahead. Even podcast I listen to that are fairly anti MS say this.

cheers,
    [goldcoaster.wordpress.com]

15. goldcoaster wrote:

cheers,
    [goldcoaster.wordpress.com]

I would actually put OpenOffice more at the Office 2003 level.

16. To be honest, Ryan, I think Office2000,2002 and 2003 were all about the same, I have them all at work and home – only small improvements were made – 2007 blows them all away.

[goldcoaster.wordpress.com]

17. I would be careful about ordering from the Ultimate Steal apparently they like to steal your money. They charged my card extra one month after I purchased it with no authorization…

18. Kate wrote:

Did you contact Microsoft regarding this? Hopefully there will be no issues getting this resolved.

19. We’ll stick with OpenOffice and Google Docs for now. Microsoft has its fingers in everybody’s pie.

Karl

20. Hello everyone. I am currently a student and I do have a school email address with .edu. However, I have never received my email from the Ultimate Steal when I ordered my software. I ordered it on 11-2. I should have gotten my email by now. You have to get that email to continue with your order. I tried to order again but it says I already have an account. I don’t know what else to do. I want to get that good deal before it ends. My luck, by the time I get my email the sale will be over! Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you. Mary

21. Try the support site to check on why you didn’t get an email response: [store.digitalriver.com]