Microsoft has finally taken Windows Defender out of Beta and the free download is available. So if you are looking for a great anti-spyware solution this is one that I would highly recommend.
If you’re still using Windows Defender Beta 2 then you’ll have until December 31 to make the upgrade because it will expire then. There is no update available for Windows Vista users which sucks because Vista can be used up until June 2007 but your spyware protection is only good until the end of this year.
These are the improvements that Windows Defender has received since the previous release:
- Enhanced performance through a new scanning engine.
- Streamlined, simplified user interface and alerts.
- Improved control over programs on your computer using enhanced Software Explorer.
- Multiple language support with globalization and localization features.
- Protection technologies for all users, whether or not they have administrator rights on the computer.
- Support for assistive technology for individuals who have physical or cognitive difficulties, impairments, and disabilities.
- Support for Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
- Automatic cleaning according to your settings during regularly scheduled scans.