There are some situations where it’s nice to monitor the amount of bandwidth that’s being used by your computer. One reason would be if your Internet Service Provider (ISP) caps the amount of data that you’re allowed to plow through in a given month. This kind of thing is especially prevalent in wireless carriers who tend to cap Internet usage at about 5GB per month, which actually isn’t all that much when you get into watching YouTube videos or streaming music.
Networx is a freeware utility for Windows that tries to provide you with every possible tool you can imagine for monitoring your bandwidth usage. You can see graphs of your usage, view your transfer rate, get detailed reports organized by time period or by the user logged into the machine, and keep an eye on how close you are to reaching your quota. Here are some more features it offers:
- Clear graphic and/or numeric display.
- Usage reports with export to a variety of file formats, including Excel, MS Word and HTML.
- Permits close supervision of uploads and downloads.
- Works with dial-up, ISDN, cable modems, ADSL, Ethernet cards, and more.
- Includes network information & testing tools with advanced netstat that displays applications using your Internet connection.
- Scalable to your own modem download capabilities.
- Option to notify user or disconnect from the Internet automatically when network activity exceeds a certain level.
- Speed meter to accurately time downloads and report the average transfer rates.
- Dial-up session journal with detailed information about every session.
On top of all that Networx can also be used on-the-go thanks to the portable version, which means there’s nothing you need to install on your PC to start using it. And when you run it for the first time there’s nothing that you have to configure… it will just sit in your System Tray and immediately start keeping tabs on your network activity.
It’s not often that I come across an app that thoroughly covers what it sets out to, but this one does. If you want something that monitors bandwidth usage, this has got to be the best freeware utility available to do it. The wide range of utilities and customizability make this an extremely versatile app that will be tough to beat.
Networx Homepage (Portable Freeware, Windows only)
Thanks Tyler for the tip!