FirefoxAfter several delays, Mozilla was finally able to roll out Firefox 2.0.0.2 and 1.5.0.10 today. The release of Firefox 2.0.0.2 is a pretty big one with 158 bugs being squashed: 21 fixed crashing issues, 4 fixed privacy bugs, and 2 fixed memory leaks. Not only that but Vista users will recognize a huge difference in the way that Firefox handles itself. Here are some of the Vista-related bugs that were fixed:

• Automatic Updates now works with users who have limited account privilege and User Account Control (UAC) enabled.
  • Uses the Vista Default Application API which means Firefox should now be able to set itself as the default browser without having to be run as an administrator.
  • Before Firefox would remain elevated (a.k.a. running as an administrator) after an update was performed, but that has been fixed.

The remaining bugs relate to under-the-hood work that won’t be visible to you. You will, however, be running a more secure and stable browser by upgrading. The official release notes page has not been posted for either version, but they should be available later on today (1.5.0.10 and 2.0.0.2).

Download Firefox 1.5.0.10:

Download Firefox 2.0.0.2:

Firefox 1.5.0.x will continue to receive security and stability updates until April 24, 2007 so I highly recommend that you upgrade if you haven’t done so already.

I also put together a portable version of Firefox 2.0.0.2 and that can be downloaded from here. That is great for anyone who wants to take Firefox wherever the road takes you. Of course, if you already have Firefox Portable installed you should just be able to go to the Help menu and use the “Check for updates” option to upgrade Firefox. Note: As Max mentioned below in the comments the upgrade option won’t work until Mozilla activates the Update, which will probably be tonight or tomorrow.

Now I’m just waiting for the new Firefox Addons site to be launched. It was supposed to happen last week, but they ran into some unexpected issues (here, here, and here). They now say that they’ll be doing some additional testing over the next week and a half to help create a list of things that need to be fixed before they ship the new addons site. After that is completed then they’ll make a release schedule. Oh, and don’t worry, it is probably more frustrating for them than it is for us:

It’s embarrassing and frustrating to miss deadlines (as I know from very extensive experience!), and painful to not be able to put your hard work out into the world where it can help people. The entire Remora team has been working almost literally around the clock for the last few weeks, and very hard for half a year before that, and we would like nothing in the world more than to deliver it to the world.

Good Luck Mozilla at getting that rolled out!

Thanks for the tip Alfredo!

1. Any ideas when they are going to bring Thunderbird 2 out of beta? Their roadmap says the first RC should be around now (late February)

2. Have they fixed that stupidly annoying copy bug yet?

3. RobBPD wrote:

Nope, haven’t heard anything past the RC’s. I expect that the RC will be next week.

Lewis wrote:
    Have they fixed that stupidly annoying copy bug yet?

What bug was that, I never noticed a copying issue.

4. Thanks, now I need to deploy it on all the computers at work. :|

5. RobBPD wrote:

Last I saw they were on track and looking at early March.

6. Help>Check for updates doesn’t see an update yet.

7. Max wrote:
    Help>Check for updates doesn’t see an update yet.

Oh yeah! Forgot about that. It won’t show up until they activate which will probably be tomorrow. I’ll mention that in the post…thanks!

8. The biggest FF bug that I’ve had is not being able to use auto-updates. I get asked if I want to update, click yes, FF downloads the update, then says it can’t update, I have to download the full version. It’s terribly annoying.

9. Just received the update notification. 8)

10. Ryan…Y’all need to update the release calendar. Also, still cain’t pingbacks from my blog to show up here. :evil:

[ffextensionguru.wordpress.com]

11. The Slasher wrote:

I assume you’re not running Vista. If you are running Vista then you need to run Firefox as an administrator in order to complete the update…however, after this version should fix that problem from here on out.

Max wrote:
    Just received the update notification. 8)

I’m really impressed, normally they wait 12 to 24 hours after release to help spread some of the load over a given period of time.

Fx Extension Guru wrote:

[ffextensionguru.wordpress.com]

Just updated the calendar. I’m not sure why your pingbacks aren’t working because they are doing fine for other people. Do your pingbacks work for anyone else, and what about trying to do a trackback with the URL provided for trackbacks above.

12. Yep I linked with the trackback URL and put it in to be pinged, but nada. It pick-ups trackbacks for my other entries. I am not sure about others. I recall using that test url on WordPress with mixed results.

13. Does anyone else get redirected to an AdSense page when getting a 404 since downloading the new FireFox? try going to [asftruhasdhkhasd.com.]

14. Fx Extension Guru wrote:

That’s really weird. I assume that it must be a wordpress.com thing, but who knows. Computers and the Internet don’t always play nice together. :)

Lewis wrote:

I only have Firefox 3 (nightly) installed on my computer so I’m not able to test that right now. It doesn’t happen with Firefox 3 though. :roll: