Last month we reported that the Nero 8 download would be available to buyers on October 1st, but pirates can get it starting today! As with many high-profile applications this one has been leaked to the file sharing networks a full 3-weeks before the consumer release was scheduled. And as expected screenshots are also making their way around the Web: StartSmart, Burning Rom, Vision, and Showtime.
Here’s a recap of what’s new in Nero 8:
- Newly-designed Nero StartSmart user interface. Prime functions like burning and ripping audio and data discs can now be accessed directly, letting users complete projects with one-click functions.
- Optimized for Vista – includes DiscCopy (a Vista sidebar gadget) that lets users copy a disc in just one click.
- Edit photo slide shows and create High Definition video in both Blu-ray BD-AV and HD DVD video formats.
- Nero RescueAgent allows users to restore deleted files and recover data from CDs and DVDs that may have been lost due to scratched discs, interrupted recording operations, or poor recording quality.
- Multimedia, backup, and recovery features.
- Live icons allows users to see what is in a file without opening it.
- Rich Preview pane offers direct access to files from within the Windows Explorer browser.
So where can you get it from? It’s obviously all over the BitTorrent network, and is being seeded by thousands of users. However, it also appears to be popping up on download sites such as Softpedia as a trial version. I’m assuming this is the same thing as the leaked download, and as long as you can get your hands on a serial you’re good as gold. Update: I’m not condoning piracy by saying that…there could be multiple ways to get a serial. Hopefully one of those ways will be by purchasing a serial from Nero soon, and I would think that the trial would last past October 1st so that you can legally acquire the serial before expiration.
So what’s going to happen to Nero 8 now? Will Ahead push the release date forward to minimize the amount of damage that the pirated version will do? Only time will tell, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they at least start offering the download-only version a few weeks early.