ESET NOD32 and Smart Security have always been my favorite security products because of their performance and high detection levels. There’s some good news for current owners! ESET is getting ready to move to the next level with version 4 of their security suite and antivirus software.
NOD32 4.0 and ESET Smart Security 4.0 are currently in a public Beta phase, and include numerous enhancements. One such improvement is that they will now be bundling the SysInspector tool that they have been, and still do, offer as a free download. Here are some other features new to version 4.0:
- Tasks can be postponed when the machine is running on battery, and a notification can be displayed if a larger update is going to be downloaded.
- Improved scanning of removable media (used maximum settings when running files from removable media, allows blocking/allowing USB ports)
- Improved cleaning and self-defense
- Added statistic graphs and information about the currently scanned object
- Added an option to use advanced heuristics on file execution
- Added an option to control the level of archive scanning or maximum scan time of objects
- Added option to supress notifications when applications are run in fullscreen mode
- Scanning of encrypted HTTPS/POP3S protocols
- Website management allowing to block/allow access to user-defined sites
- New Document protection module for scanning MS Office files
- Password protected uninstallation
- Notification about missing operating system updates
- Works with Windows Live Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird
- Antispam now uses a user and global address books
- Potentially unwanted/unsafe applications are now reported in a yellow alert window which requires a user interaction
There’s no word on a release date yet, but the current Beta applications don’t expire until 02/03/2009… so I wouldn’t expect to see a final release before then.
ESET Beta Homepage