Im Feeling Lucky Back in October Google’s Vice President of search products, Marissa Mayer, said that less than 1% of Google’s visitors use the I’m Feeling Lucky button. I wasn’t surprised to hear that it was used that little, but despite being such a small percentage it still has a big impact on Google.

When users click on the I’m Feeling Lucky button they are immediately taken to the website of the first result. That means they bypass the search results page all together, and thereby miss all of the ads. Although the I’m Feeling Lucky button gets little usage analysts are estimating that having the button costs Google $110 million in ad revenue every year.

I’m sure the estimated revenue from the button is a little bit off since we don’t know exact usage stats, but the fact of the matter is that it costs them millions of dollars. Google is leaving that button there simply because people have grown accustomed to see it, but who would have thought that they would lose out on millions of dollars because of it?

[via Valleywag]

There Are 13 Comments

  1. That’s my Google 8)

  2. They would probably lose more if they removed it…

  3. I only used the lucky button once to see what it was like, and I haven’t tried it since.

  4. I only used it once, and that was when someone told me to type in “idiot” or “gullible” or something like that and it took you to George W. Bush’s bio at the White House.

    People thought Google was taking the piss, but infact its how there search algorithm works, and they said they would not change it. Made a bit of a news article.

  5. Actually losing millions of dollars because of a button. Wow, never would have thought of that! However, I think people who use I’m feeling lucky would be less likely to click ads than other searchers, since they know what they want and won’t be looking around the page much.

  6. So I had to look it up, and its “miserable failure” you type in google and press the “I’m feeling lucky button” but no longer works as of this year.

    It was a plot by a blogger, tells you all about it here:

    [snopes.com]

  7. Yeah, I remember just typing “failure” would do that.

    Here’s another funny Google search glitch. While the President one was around for a while, this one was taken down quickly.
    [digg.com]

  8. I’m going to be a boring insufferable pedant and say that it doesn’t COST Google $100m to include the button. However, should they remove it , they could make up to an ADDITIONAL $100m.
    Anyway enough of this childish silliness! What I really want to say is ‘What an absolutely BRILLIANT website you have Cybernetnews! You are my first port of call every evening and the computer info you have available is simply excellent! Thank you and keep up the good work!

    Love, Light and Peace

    JC

  9. Mike wrote:
    So I had to look it up, and its “miserable failure” you type in google and press the “I’m feeling lucky button” but no longer works as of this year.

    I remember when Google posted saying that they had fixed that issue. They said that they tweaked the algorithm so that it wouldn’t happen again, but then a week or two later someone found some other word that did something similar. I can’t remember what it was.

    netster007x wrote:
    Here’s another funny Google search glitch. While the President one was around for a while, this one was taken down quickly.
    [digg.com]

    That is definitely a classic as well. It makes you wonder what their algorithm was like that made it suggest that.

  10. JC wrote:
    I’m going to be a boring insufferable pedant and say that it doesn’t COST Google $100m to include the button. However, should they remove it , they could make up to an ADDITIONAL $100m.
    Anyway enough of this childish silliness! What I really want to say is ‘What an absolutely BRILLIANT website you have Cybernetnews! You are my first port of call every evening and the computer info you have available is simply excellent! Thank you and keep up the good work!

    Love, Light and Peace

    JC

    Thanks JC! :)

  11. I think that button not just saved them millions for advertising, but also was (and is now) one of the most effective world-of-mouth marketing tools.

  12. Try it now! the button is still there but, once you start putting a word in the bar, it goes to paid searches, someone a google just got a bonus!

Leave Your Comment


Message is the only required field.
Emails are not published.