I’m a pretty big fan of CDBurnerXP when it comes down to the best freeware for burning your CDs and DVDs. Incredibly, however, I have to say that the free AmoK CD/DVD Burning tool comes in a close second thanks to its portability, footprint, and size. This app uses less than 1MB of space once extracted, and uses around 7MB of memory while running. That definitely makes it one of the best options for portable burning software that I’ve seen.
You may have assumed that the small size means that it is short on features. That’s not the case at all. The developer did, however, break out some of the features into plugins that you can use to add more functionality, such as burning DVD videos. All of the basic stuff is included out-of-the-box:
- Supports all available standards: CD-R / CD-RW / DVD+R / DVD+RW / DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD-RAM / DVD+DL
- Burns your DVD and Backup with just 2 clicks
- Recognizes dual/double layer DVDs automatically
- Supports SCSI, IDE, EIDE, USB and Firewire CD or DVD Writers
- Buffer Underrun Protection
- Drag and Drop
- Offers safe burning via BURN-Proof, Just Link, and OPC
- Quick and complete deleting of RW
- High Performance File/Disc Caching (adjustable cache size)
- Burn “On The Fly”
- No temporary disk space needed
- Display disk and drive information
- Creates ISO files and CDs / DVDs 100% compatible to DOS and Windows standard
- Searches firmware updated for the CD/DVD burner
- No registry entries are created. All data is written to a single file.
And here is a list of the available plugins (which are all also free):
- AudioBurn (Ghosthunter) – Adds support for burning audio CDs directly from mp3, wma, ogg and pcm files
- Audioburner V2 – Adds support for CD-Text and enables AmoK CD/DVD Burning to create audio CDs directly from OGG Vorbis, MP3, WMA, WMV, ASF, and WAV files.
- Burn CUE, BIN und NRG – Enables AmoK CD/DVD Burning to burn CUE, BIN and NRG files.
- DPShredder 1.2 – Enables AmoK CD/DVD Burning to “shred” (permanetly delete) files and folders.
- DVDVideo2ISO – Enables AmoK CD/DVD Burning to create ISO files from a DVD video folder.
- ISO Verification – Enables AmoK CD/DVD Burning to verify an ISO after its creation.
- VideoBurning 1.3 – Enables the burning of VCD/SVCD and DVD-Video.
The interface may not be the prettiest, but at the same time it’s not an eyesore. This might be a good alternative to some full-blown software if you only find yourself burning CDs/DVDs from time-to-time, or if you just want something small to throw on your USB drive.
AmoK CD/DVD Burning Homepage (Windows only; Freeware)