This is a pretty exciting day because there is a new freeware application available that previously cost $39! The software is Post2Blog (Download Mirror) and it makes it easier for you to post to your blog using a WYSIWYG (What You See is What You Get) editor.
There is no doubt that this is the most extensive blog editor available, and here are just some of the reasons why I love it (I’ve put some of my favorite features in bold):
- WYSIWYG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get) editor with complete hot-keys support
- Built-in “Live” spell checking
- “Portable Mode” support
- Images are uploaded automatically (supported uploading types: Flickr, file area of your blog, imageshack.us, picturelli.com, custom FTP server)
- Post text and/or images from Firefox or Internet Explorer to your blog with 2 clicks only using plug-ins for Firefox (check example) and Internet Explorer
- Compose new posts in MS Word and post them to your blog using Post2Blog toolbar for MS Word
- Integration with RSS Bandit (rssbandit.org) and Sharp Reader (sharpreader.net) – you can post selected items from these RSS readers using Post2Blog plug-in
- Post files, images, documents from Explorer or any other program using “Send To -> Post2Blog” command
- Add Technorati, Del.icio.us, Buzzwords, 43 Things tags to your posts
- Automatically send trackbacks, ping web-services to notify about updates in your blogs
- Earn money using “Insert Amazon Link” feature
- Use built-in smiles for use in your blog
- XHTML standards compliance
One thing that I do want to point out is that the software was bumped from version 2 to version 3, but there aren’t any new features other than the software becoming freeware. I would say that the freeware switch constitutes its own version number though, after all, it surely beats our last “workaround” for using Post2Blog for free.
This good news comes just a few weeks after FastStone Capture did the complete opposite and took their program from freeware to shareware. Oh well, Post2Blog is definitely a nice addition to my freeware collection!
Thanks for the tip Radu!