Windows 7 Desktop
(Click to Enlarge)

In our last post just the other day we mentioned a Neowin forum member who had claimed to get his hands on Windows 7 Milestone 1. He walked through some of the things that he had noticed so far in the first milestone, but it wasn’t much. It was generally the same thing as Vista, and without the screenshots to back it up people were skeptical of the legitimacy.

A Chinese site has stepped forward with screenshots of what is supposedly Windows 7 Milestone 1, and I’m fairly confident that they are real. Why? Because it almost looks the same as Vista, which is what you would expect. Microsoft isn’t going to reveal a new appearance for Windows in such an early stage.

Here are a few of the screenshots that were posted:

• About Windows 7
    This screenshot shows off the build information for Windows 7, which would be version 6.1.6519 and was put together on December 20, 2007. The full build string is “Version 6.1 (Build 6519.1.x86fre.winmain.071220-1525)“.

(Click to Enlarge)
    Windows 7 Build ID

• System Tray
    Instead of expanding the hidden System Tray icons into the Taskbar, it now pops out in a separate window.

Windows 7 System Tray

• Control Panel
    The Control Panel is arranged a little differently, but nothing to be astonished by.

(Click to Enlarge)
    Windows 7 Control Panel

I think it is safe to say that these screenshots are the real deal, and that screenshots of future Milestones will likely be leaked as they become available. Windows development is just too widespread for Microsoft to keep it under wraps and out of the public’s eyes.

[via WinBeta]

1. I think it’s funny that it’s code named windows 7 when it’s still a 6.1 build. That should tell everyone that not much is going to change for from Vista. It would be nice is some of the missing Longhorn pieces were going to be included. For me to upgrade, it’s going to require a major update.

2. Lots of comment about Windows 7. Would it be too much to tell your less techy readers what it is!!
    Sometimes you get carried away with your own inside knowledge!!

3. I liked the one you posted before more!

4. CoryC wrote:

I’m not 100% sure about this, but I believe it will get to version 7 when it is sent to manufacturing. I think that’s how it worked with Vista.

Pat B wrote:
    Sometimes you get carried away with your own inside knowledge!!

Sorry Pat, I’ve been talking a lot about it lately so I figured most people would have caught on. Windows 7 is simply the next version of Windows that is scheduled to come out in 2009 or 2010.

Google wrote:
    I liked the one you posted before more!

I kinda did as well, but then you have to think about it from a productivity standpoint. While the other one looked a little nicer, would you be any more productive with it? Moving the location of the Start Menu, which the other one did, could really kill a lot of productivity in my opinion.

5. I think it’s best to lower your expectations right down with any future Windows releases, guys :|

6. Well, if Microsoft doesn’t get Vienna right, they basically screwed themselves over because I highly doubt people are going to want to stick with Vista for ten more years until ‘Windows 8′ comes out. And the chaps using XP? Lord help them; I’d hate to stick with XP for fifteen more years…

Vienna’s Microsoft’s last chance to get things right before users start jumping onto the Linux or Leopard bandwagon.

7. Michael Dobrofsky wrote:

I’m not really starting with any expectations, because then I can’t be let down. :roll:

Verdican wrote:

Microsoft is going to put a lot of time into making sure that they do this version right, because Apple is really capitalizing on the consumer market. Microsoft needs to find someway to keep consumers wanting Windows.

8. Goes to Apple OS x more,,, but a great idea that should have happened along time ago.

9. for one.. the beta is alot different.. and very nice.. and 2… CoryC… u got no clue what your talkin about… its a totally rebuilt kernel.. instead of havin a basis of winserver 2k3 its a rebuilt version of 2k8.. its much better.. faster.. and efficient

10. LiTHiUM0XiD3 wrote:

This article was also from a year ago, so we had a lot less details available to us then.

11. thats not windows 7 lol, who ever posted these photos thes are fake

12. I agree with Jamie, I’ve seen Windows 7 and that is not the beta version. That is Vista!!!

13. TheRealTinTin wrote:

Definitely, I mean, yeah, this was written a year ago or w/e but you can definitely tell it’s Vista. I got to admit, I’m running Windows 7 Evaluation Build 7077 and I love it. I’d go out and buy Win 7 more than likely when it comes out. I also got the RC which isn’t suppose to hit till May 5th, I got it dled just not burned cause I don’t have a DVD Burner. If y’all really want a couple screen shots, which I doubt you will by now, I’d be more than happy to send some in.

14. is windows 7. what, you think they were going to build it from the ground up? they started with “vista” and modified it slowly

15. Er, yeah – those are fakes.
    That’s Vista…

The Win7 Release Candidate is out now, go get it – it’s great!

16. TheRealTinTin wrote:

DO.. Idoit

17. Apple is just so much better,
    Windows is looking more and more like Apple.
    Windows will such it’s build on windows Vista. So it’s the same shit but with a new jacket

18. i think windows xp is still the greatest OS of microsoft has ever built. vista? it sucks big time and about mac its a good os but still sucks no wonder microsoft is still #1 in d world. why?? go anywhere in the world and brag your mac and no one wont ever care.

well at least microsoft has been doing their part to provide our needs. if you complain then make your own OS for crying out loud!!

-peace`

19. Linux has Windows and Mac beat still. :mrgreen:

20. In reply to zero, there is going to be an XP mode (in the finished Windows 7 Release) in which you can run everything as if it was in XP – With Windows 7′s features and interface. :mrgreen:

• the xp mode it very good. from what i have heard, you will need an actual xp licence key to use it though, so its good if your upgrading from windows xp….

21. whats such a big deal about it anyway? it looks like vista, operates like vista functions like vista and even sucks like vista..

22. How can anyone say that Mac OSX sucks?!? Have you even used a Mac before?!? Microsoft’s operating systems suck!!

Linux is the only way forward for PC users and as for Mac users, Snow Leopard is the best operating systems I have ever used. It’s about time that computer users in general realise that you don’t need to spend a fortune (as with using Microsoft operating systems) to make your PC do what you want it to!!

Of course that applies if you’re stupid enough to use PC’s. Mac’s are definately better!!

Windows 7 will be another slow, bulky and ugly operating system!!

• do you know what you actually talking about, macs are for people who are too thick to use pc’s or that they like using adobe software. You music be f**king stupid to waste all that money on a mach when you can geta wondows pc for a lot cheaper

• You’re right. Mac is simply the best. I’ll never return to the windows.

23. Look guys, please remeber that these was the first screen shots from when microsoft had first started editing the os. they built it up from 2k8 server type shit with the vista look so nobody would catch on on the new look before it was due. not with windows 7 which is released tomorrow. (got the professional version already and its legal!!) Go out there and but it becuase you wont regret it. its faster than vista and looks better. You dont have as much of that useless b8undled in crap like you usually do as it is all available with windows live essentials…. Am out of ere yall… peace…

24. W7 got it–its faster and its stable…just waiting for all the drivers and software to catch up– so we can be more productive and get back to work.
    instead of fighting the OS and pc inadequacies.

64 bit rocks, and its about time we had 64 bit mainstreamed to get the industry working again. hopefully all the lazy second party programmers and hackers are getting back to work too. we need cheap pdf and music programs
    and photoshop and cad -lets not forget the next level of animation and gamers too.
    “whats the point of having a ferrari if the only track in town is a
    10 meter parking lot…..with one exit. LOL

25. Nobody who is comfortable with Windows is going to switch to a Mac, I’ve been running windows since 98 came out and have run all versions of windows since, other than minor hiccups I’ve never had a problem, currently I am running Windows 7 RC build 7100 on a 5 year old laptop, I even went out and bought an old G3 just to try and learn how to use and work my way up, after 2 months I still couldn’t figure anything out other then how to turn it on, I gave it to my little brother who are 4 and after a month they didn’t even touch it cause they couldn’t find their photos or music, I then built up a little P3 with XP and after a week they were installing their kids games and watching DVD’s on it by them self’s, I think if it wasn’t for Justin long being in the commercials nobody would even look twice at Mac, not to forget they got some old 4-eyed fat guy who doesn’t look like he could get a date to represent Windows, also Windows has more class unlike Mac with all their ads trying to compare the 2 and always saying that there better, but what are they better at? Not crashing? THEN DONT DOWNLOAD CRAP YOU DONT NEED it’s that simple, Macs are for people with too much $$$ and not enough brains, like Zero said, “nobody will care” so brag all you want about your Mac, cause we all know that after your shift at the factory ends, you’ll be crawling into your moms basement looking up nude photos of girls you can’t get, Macs are for pussys that can’t handle a challenge every once in a wile

FYI: I LOVE WINDOWS!!!!!!!

• Regarding the last comment from Anonymous….

THIS is what seperates Windows user and Mac users. Most professions use Mac computers because they are faster than PC’s. I have owned a Mac for years and have never experienced a crash. Macs are not for people with too much money. They are for people who prefer the quality of an os that does its job. PC’s are good. For games. At a high price. A good games PC can cost more than a Mac but the Mac, doing the same, costs, therefore less. A friend of mine spent £4000 on a PC because he wanted somthing fast. I spent MUCH less than that on my MacBookPro. It is faster than his PC, doesn’t crash and, MORE IMPORTANTLY has NONE of the Windows mix mashed into it. Besides, if Mac was that bad, why has Microsoft purchased a part of the company?

Contrary to what you wrote, you need the same amount of brain power to use a Mac OR a PC. Mac operators need brain power for their work/software and creativity, whilst PC users need THEIR brain power to work out why their PC has crashed or frozen up yet again!

At the end of the day, PC’s are as good as Macs. It just depends on your applications. So be quiet and get back to sweeping your roads!

26. For Anonymous…..

You go on about lack of brains required to use a Mac, yet you can’t even write English properly! But the funny part, was when you said Macs were for thick people….and then….and then…hahaha…hehehe…you admit you couldn’t even turn it ON!!! THIS is the reason why you use a PC. Leave Macs to the professionals who makes ten times as much salary as you do, with their graphics.

You could try coloured building blocks if you can’t get on with the PC you know?!

Seems like you only use a PC because you don’t have the power to use a more reliable machine. Mac OS is, after all, UNIX based. Too much for you and your Windows supplied Minesweeper or TicTacToe games. As I said earlier….ALL computers are equal if they have an application in life. Horses for courses.

Oh, fyi, your kids installing games or watching a DVD on a PC isn’t rocket science’ as they self install! Complete with virii. If your child can push a button (the Go! button), then they can run a disk installer. I just hope, unlike YOU though, that they also learn to use spellchecker and grammar checking too. Have a great day!

• All of the above people who argue about Windows or Mac are idiots, I make probably more than 10 times more than the pros who use a Mac, and only idiots use operating systems you actually need to pay for.

MORONS!!!

27. can someone tell me what programs come with windows 7.