The other day we wrote about an application called Local Cooling who’s goal was to save energy by teaching you to hibernate your computer when it’s not being used. It didn’t really present any useful features, but it showed you cool stats to let you know how much energy you have saved.
Today I have a program that is actually useful: WinOFF (Download Mirror). This is a free program that doesn’t require any installation. The best part is that you can have it automatically shutdown, hibernate, and restart your computer at anytime throughout the day. Just tell it when, and WinOFF will make sure the job gets done when it is supposed to.
Here are some screenshots of WinOFF (click the thumbnails for fullsize versions):
And here is everything that you can do with it:
- Shut down the computer at certain hour (e.g. at 12:00).
- Shut down the computer in several minutes (e.g. in 15 minutes).
- Shut down the computer when the CPU becomes idle.
- Several types of shut down (shut down, restart, log off, power off, suspend, hibernate and lock computer).
- Option for hang up the modem instead of doing a shut down.
- Option for set a password to protect the access to the configuration.
- Complete command line support for batch process.
- Option for capture the desktop and/or execute a program before the shut down.
- Option for run the program when starting Windows session, for daily programmed shut down.
- Immediate shut down and computer lock from the traybar icon menu.
- Option for show an alert window, which allow the cancellation of the shut down.
This free program is also a great solution for anyone who forgets to shutdown their computer at night. After all, you can have an alert shown before the action is executed. That way if you’re in the middle of doing something you can bypass shutdown process.