Mac I have been a PC user all of my life, and primarily a Windows user. In a week, I spend more time on my PC than I have spent hands-on with a Mac for my entire life. Yes, the difference is really that drastic, but lately I have had a craving to tinker with a Mac.

No, this is not my story about how I am switching to a Mac because I still don’t own one. Lifehacker, however, has a nice guide that walks you through what a PC user might have a hard time with when plunging into the other realm. I read through it and I was surprised at how much I already know about Mac computers.

One thing that would frustrate me to no end if I used a Mac on a daily basis would be the Backspace and Delete keys. They operate backwards from what PC users are accustomed to (Backspace erases a character to the right where the Delete key erases a character to the left). Any experienced Mac user would not find any difficulty in remembering this but people switching from a PC probably won’t be fond of the change in terminology.

I know only a small percentage of the readers on this site are Mac users, but I would love to hear everyone’s opinions about what they like and dislike about a Mac.

1. I hate everything about them. I used one for about a year and hated it. I had so many problems with loosing my files, I ended up doing a project 3 times. The only reason no-one writes viruses for them is being there’s no need… they do it themselves.

2. Long, long time Windows user (starting with version 2.1). Have purchased 3 Mac’s in the past 6 months, switching both myself and my family to the Mac way of doing things. Overall, its been an easy and pleasant experience other than two Macbooks arriving DOA. I find everything to be quite intuitive and logical, and the Core 2 Duo processors are very acceptable performance. What excites me the most is being able to run Windows software using Parallels with their Coherence mode. Very fast, very stable, giving me the best of both worlds.

Overall, I recommend Apple and now I can finally understand why Mac’s have so many die-hard fans. Am I giving up on Windows? Nope, I have Vista running on a new computer that impresses the heck out of me. And I’m sure I’ll be using WinXP for many years to come.

3. Lewis wrote:

That has to be one of the funniest things I have read in months. Microsoft should use that in a “Get A PC” campaign. ;)

wesvt wrote:

So I take it that you like your Mac OS better than Vista?

4. I have problems with the single-button mouse that comes with a Mac. I use the hell out of the object menu button in Windows and it feels unnatural to have only one button. However, using a PC mouse with a Mac gives you a similar object menu.

Also, like already mentioned, I have trouble with file management in OS X. I’m sure it would approve with time, but I can never seem to find anything.

I like to fix (and sometimes build) my own computers. While I suppose you could work on your own Mac, it certainly isn’t as easy as ordering a cheap part from one of hundreds of sites on the Internet. And you couldn’t slap together a super cheap barebones kit and install OS X (I would probably own a “Mac” if you could).

Overall, I don’t know that one is necessarily better than the other. I think it depends on which OS you learned first. I think Macs look cool and are sort of fun to use but I haven’t seen anything that would cause me to switch from Windows. Issues like more viruses for PCs don’t sell me on Macs because that could change overnight if Apple were to ever gain a large portion of the computer market and become a bigger target.

5. Mac’s are far more elegant in design, both in hardware and Mac OSX. Far more easy to use than Windows, much more logical, but not as many customisations. They have pros and cons, but as a user who has used both Windows and Mac for years, there’s only two reasons I stick with Windows:

1. Because of the range of software I need/use.
    2. Because of the value for $$ of PCs against expensive Macs.

As for the first comment about, “losing my files”…please, you shouldn’t be using computers if you lose files on a Mac ;)

6. The Slasher wrote:

From the little bit of tinkering around that I have done with Macs I did notice that they don’t seem to let you customize as much…which is something I definitely need. Things need to look and feel exactly how I want them to. I’m sure I could answer this really quickly by doing a search, but out of curiosity do Macs have any sort of “Registry” to store application data? I imagine they must but I’m not sure if they let users in to edit things.

7. People losing stuff? That isnt the operating system at fault. surely you just need to pay more attention??

Mac hardware is always a bit patchy, with DOA’s and stuff, but i think its just because its not tried and tested hardware.

As for viruses, its actually the Unix based kernel that prevents them, they have better security BY DESIGN. Something Microsoft are just learning, how is the new security in Vista Ryan? have ya turned it off yet???

8. nogg3r5 wrote:
    how is the new security in Vista Ryan? have ya turned it off yet???

I assume that you’re referring to the User Account Control…and yes, I did turn it off. The prompts just get overly annoying. They claim that Linux does the same thing with their prompts, but Vista’s is surely more frequent. Heck, I can’t even delete, modify, or rename a file in the Program Files without receiving a prompt. I think I’m careful enough to do without the prompts for now. Maybe when I get older and a little crazy they might be beneficial. :D

nogg3r5 wrote:
    how is the new security in Vista Ryan? have ya turned it off yet???

Its true, from my experience of using Ubuntu and OS X they do prompt you for a user and password every time you need admin rights. But I think they layout of the OS is more suited to this type of security

10. [xvsxp.com]
    Here’s a great site that compares the two OSes on a number of topics.

11. Wow, that is a great site for comparing XP to OS X, and it looks like overall OS X won the crown. I’ll have to read through some of the details and see what they say.