I’m always on the lookout for great apps that take full advantage of the Aero interface in Windows 7 or Vista, and OnTopReplica is undoubtedly one of the more handy ones. When you run this free (and portable) app you’ll see a clear glass window. All you have to do is right-click, and select which of your currently open windows you want to clone on the screen. From there you should see something similar to the screenshot above.
There are all kinds of things you can tweak to your liking. The size of the thumbnail is scalable, you can move it wherever you like, and you can even select a specific portion of the window that you want to see in the thumbnail. Here are some of the features you’ll enjoy:
- Clone any of your windows and keep it always on top
- Select a subregion of the cloned window
- Auto-resizing (fit the original window, half, quarter and fullscreen mode)
- Dock in task bar
- Adjustable opacity
- Add/remove the thumbnail border
- Ability to send left-clicks on thumbnail through to main window (useful for watching videos, so that you can play/pause them). However, keyboard characters are not sent through.