Mozilla is preparing for an official test day tomorrow for Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0. As of right now they are sitting quite comfortably with zero bugs in the queue, which is remarkable for any application about to be released. That could, of course, mean that it hasn’t been tested enough which is why they need your help squashing any remaining problems before they send it out the door!
The first Release Candidate is available on their FTP which is what will be tested tomorrow. They also have multiple languages available so to make downloading it a little easier I have gone ahead and put together this downloader. All you have to do is select the language you are looking for and it should begin downloading almost immediately:
I’ve mentioned previously everything that is new in Thunderbird 2, which does include quite a few improvements. Here’s the list once more for all of you trying it out for the first time around:
- Message Tags: Create your own tags for organizing email. Messages can be assigned any number of tags. Tags can be combined with saved searches and mail views to make it easier to organize email.
- Visual Theme: Thunderbird 2’s theme and user interface have been updated to improve usability.
- Session History Navigation: Back and Forward buttons allow navigation through message history.
- Folder Views: Customize the folder pane to show favorite, unread or recent folders.
- Easy Access to Popular Web Mail Services: Gmail and .Mac users can access their accounts in Thunderbird by simply providing their user names and passwords.
- Improved Support For Extensions: Extensions can now add custom columns to the message list pane in addition to storing custom message data in the mail database.
- Improved New Mail Notification Alerts: New mail alerts include information such as the subject, sender and message preview text.
- Folder Summary Popups: Mouse over a folder with new messages to see a summary of the new messages in that folder.
- Saved Search Folder Performance: Search results for saved search folders are now cached, improving folder loading performance.
- Find As You Type
- Improved Filing Tools: Recent folder menu items for moving and copying messages to recently used folders. Move / Copy again functionality.
- Updates to the extension system: The extension system has been updated to provide enhanced security and to allow for easier localization of extensions.
- New Windows installer: Based on Nullsoft Scriptable Install System, the new Windows installer resolves many long-standing issues.
- Windows Vista Support
- MacOS X Universal Binaries
One thing that everyone was hoping for was a tab system for Thunderbird so that it was easier to keep multiple messages open, but it looks as though that feature didn’t make the cut this time around. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed that tabs will be in Thunderbird 3 though!