There are some good Twitter clients out there for desktop operating systems, such as MetroTwit on Windows, but there is always room for more. If you haven’t found one that you’ve liked you may want to take a look at Janetter. This free app is packed with features including real-time timeline updates. As your friends post their tweets they will instantly appear in the application.
There are also a lot of things that can be customized within the app, and some nice features you’ll find tucked away in it:
- Over 25 themes that you can use to pick a look that you like
- Multiple accounts are supported
- You’ll see more columns/timelines the wider you make the window
- Popup notifications for new tweets
- Customizable wallpapers
- Mute users and/or words temporarily or permanently
Those are some great features, and the ability to mute users/words is really nice. I first got a taste of this with Tweetbot on my iPhone, and I like having it available to me just as much in a desktop app. Plus Janetter adds the ability to mute tweets based on words, which you can surely appreciate if a specific topic is flooding your timeline.
Janetter Homepage (Windows/Mac; Freeware)