So this little trick doesn’t exactly look like something Google would approve of, but it would be awesome if they did. Using a customized Google URL you are able to generate a perfectly rounded corner with various specifications. Here is the URL that you would need to use:
To change the color and appearance you’ll need to alter the parameters of the URL. Here is what they do:
- c = the HEX value (or word, such as “black” or “navy”) for the color of the rounded corner
- bc = the HEX value (or word, such as “black” or “navy”) for the background color of the rounded corner
- w = width of the corner in pixels
- h = height of the corner in pixels
- a = the position that the corner will be placed, use br (bottom-right), bl (bottom-left), tr (top-right), or tl (top-left).
Now you need to be careful with this though. If you permanently link to the image on Google’s servers then they will probably change something and your image will be gone. However, you should use this as a developers tool to play around with corners that have different radii, colors, etc.. and then when you find the perfect one just save it to your own server.
Google should come up with more things like this and actually make them available to developers. It is something so small, but it can make developing sites a lot easier and I’m sure Google could get Web programmers to flock to their site if they offered a bunch of little (but useful) tools like this.
News Source: Google Blogoscoped