mojave.pngOften times we find ourselves wondering whether Vista’s harshest critics have ever used the operating system for more than an hour or two, if at all, because their complaints aren’t usually justified. You really have to use it for at least a month or two before you realize how nice it is to have, say, the option to perform searches right from the Start menu. It also takes time for someone to realize just how stable (assuming your computer has the proper hardware) Vista is. Sometimes it takes looking back and reflecting upon something to realize all that it brings to the table.

There’s no doubt that Microsoft has taken a lot of heat over Windows Vista and that some people can jump on the bandwagon and complain about it without ever using it. Microsoft knows this so they decided to defend their operating system and put critics in their place. Here’s how they did it:

1. First they headed out around San Francisco to find Windows XP users who didn’t think very highly of Vista
  2. Then those individuals were interviewed, on video, and asked about their impressions of Vista
  3. Following the interview they were shown a “new” operating system that Microsoft said was code-named ‘Mojave’
  4. Following the video, 90% of the people gave positive feedback about what they saw
  5. Once feedback was given, the people were told that the operating system they saw in action and gave positive feedback on was actually Windows Vista
  6. We’re sure this is when Microsoft said “HA! See, Vista isn’t bad after all!”

If more people had actually tried the operating system instead of relying on word-of-mouth from someone else who probably hadn’t actually tried it for themselves either, Microsoft probably wouldn’t be in the situation that they find themselves in today.

According to CNET, Microsoft plans to use the footage of people positively reviewing “Mojave” in it’s marketing, although the specifics haven’t been figured out quite yet. There’s no doubt that Microsoft has some work ahead of them as they try to change the negative perceptions people have about Vista, and “Mojave” is definitely one way to do it.

1. Good for Microsoft. Vista has been getting a bum rap by lots of people who have never really used it. I’ve been using Vista on my new laptop for a year now and I love it. There are many many little things in the background and in various parts of the OS that make it better than XP. And I use a number of older programs, games and hardware and they work great with Vista.

2. if our required programs worked with Vista, we’d upgrade.
    However, I’ve yet to see any of the machines we’ve built have stability issues with XP. That is not something I have experience with at my current position.

I’m open; our vendors are not.

3. Vista Good, UAC Bad.

4. Thor wrote:

Couldn’t agree with you more. I can’t believe how many people tell me that they don’t want Vista on their new computers, and when asked why they always say that they’ve heard how bad it is. From a consumer standpoint I’ve never had any issues.

jdw242b wrote:
    if our required programs worked with Vista, we’d upgrade.

That’s definitely part of the problem. The vendors and developers are still not upgrading their stuff like they should be.

5. Ben wrote:
    Vista Good, UAC Bad.

I second that! :lol:

Anyway, been using Vista since October and so far been very pleased with it…once I found a way to deactivate the UAC. I know that may not have been the best move, but unless MS added a ‘remember this setting’ option like most Firewalls, it is a pain. I’ve yet to install SP1, even though it bugs me every day to install it. I just don’t want to end up with a mess like I did with Windows XP after SP2 where I could no longer access the Internet.

6. I got a new PC in February that came with Vista Home Premium. I used it for about a month, and had 17 blue screens (yes, I keep a log book of crashes and other significant issues). So I found most of the drivers needed and went back to XP Professional SP2. I have First Defense-ISR, so I was able to keep my Vista installation and install XP. Once SP1 came out for Vista, I decided to give it a shot. I booted back into Vista, installed SP1. Since that point, I had a couple of blue screens that were traced to my firewall software which was patched by the vendor. I do not have any other blue screens in my log. Everything is stable, and the only reboots I do are because I choose to install something that requires a reboot. And yes, I too disabled UAC long ago.

7. This was a great move by Microsoft in my opinion. Shows they’re taking a light-hearted approach at proving people wrong.

Carl that’s not really Vista’s fault. So far I’ve used Vista for quite a while and never had any stability issues. Not a single BSOD, never had explorer crash, and never any real problems. The only thing that ticks me off is the way if fades things when it thinks they’re not responding. It seems this fading thing has an intolerance for CPU heavy programs as it promptly leads you to believe they’ve crashed when they’re just busy. But that’s not a problem, just a slightly annoyance at first.

Oh and UAC sucks, I don’t know why they have that enabled by default.

8. I have been using Vista on both a desktop and laptop for over a year. I have installed the Sp and have had no problems. All of the new programs I have purchased and the legacy one work just fine. Most of the “smart” software houses are updating their drivers to work. The UAC is a good idea, Microsoft is finally putting in solid security. They do need to have a “remember this setting” option though. My biggest concern is rolling out Vista in my workplace. I wonder how well it works on an established network. Well, I guess that’s what VMWare is for (not MS’s virtual crap).

9. Michael Dobrofsky

Yes, but what kind of tweaks and patches and configs did they have to do beforehand? Was Vista installed outta the box? Was it Vista bare-bones, or Vista with loads of today’s popular software running? It doesn’t mean a whole lot unless the facts are put on the table. Yes, Vista is great in many ways, and people bash it for no reason. Yes, Vista does deserve some bashing for some things since release. There’s both sides.

10. I tried Vista on Grandma’s laptop and for everyday use, it is great. For gaming? I stick to XP.

11. Oh my. Here’s why I don’t like Vista: it’s shiny. Weird, huh? Why wouldn’t they stick with a nice theme without all the bells and whistles? No thanks, I think I’ll keep my Windows XP Blue!

12. If you like the XP blue, just get an XP skin for Vista – they’re out there. The key with Vista is to have a machine that can handle it. If you are using a 4 year old computer, then you will probably not like Vista. But if you are buying a new computer, and you optimize it for Vista, you should be just fine. They really did fix most of the issues with the service pack…

13. Wait a second. First we say that Vista-bashers have not used it enough, then when MS shows a video of what it can do, and gets positive reviews, then these Vista-bashers are suddenly Vista-fans? I call BS. They didn’t use the software, and they only saw marketing crap.

The point is, Vista promised to be everything they showed in videos since long ago. Sure, that’s all well and good, and if it delivered it all then Vista-bashers would be happy. The reason we’re NOT is because of incompatibilities, and massive hardware requirements. All for what? A pretty window?

I recently saw a link to MS’s “top 100 reasons Vista is great” webpage and read each one… there was nothing in the list to make me think there was any real improvement in Vista worth my time. To date, I have played with Vista here and there, and even MS’s software doesn’t work properly on it (eg: Can’t get MSOutlook 2003 to register as the default mail handler). WTF?!

So, I have plenty of REAL reasons I dislike Vista – simply put, it gives me little to nothing new, at the cost of LOTS more hardware. I would be happy to hear anyone show me otherwise.

14. The only point I have to add is that I have used every MS OS since MS-DOS. With the Windows versions, I find Vista to be the most stable and very highly reliable. I have been running Vista since the betas and I have never had to wipe my computer and re-install Windows, unlike with every other version of Windows since 3.11.

This is where it wins me over!

15. Just left Vista to go back to XP for the 5th or 6th time last night. It’s not that Vista is bad, but the vendor’s refusal to update their software to support it is killing me. Performance and reliability I have no problem with Vista, when I want to use me M-Audio usb recording products, I’m up sh** creek because they dont support it. This has happened to me many times with printers and other misc devices.

16. Dave wrote:

You’re right Dave, a new computer with the recommended hardware will definitely give you the best Vista experience. I guess that’s where some of the complaints come, from those who don’t want to upgrade to have a great Vista experience but there’s really no getting around it.

17. Lewis wrote:

Same here. I’ve been using it for over a year and a half, and I’ve only had one blue screen. I got it when trying to upgrade to a new driver, which I didn’t have to do I just thought I should.

Lewis wrote:
    Oh and UAC sucks, I don’t know why they have that enabled by default.

Personally I’m glad they have it on by default. I never turned it off on any of my computers, and never really had any hassles with it. I’ve had to help far less people fix their Vista computers than I did with XP, and I attribute a lot of that to UAC keeping the people more secure.

Pieter wrote:

Huh, I love Vista’s theme over XP’s. Well, not the Basic theme, but I love Aero.

Schwinn wrote:

I don’t think there would be a lot of people who would tell you to go out and upgrade your existing machine to Vista, but if you’re getting a new computer there’s aren’t a lot of reasons that I’ve found for people to try and get the new machine with XP on it. Of course the hardware requirements are going to be higher… there was five years between the releases. It’s like saying you’d upgrade a Windows 98 machine to XP using all of the same hardware. That’s crazy talk.

OldManDeath wrote:

Same here. With XP I reformatted every few months because it would slow down to a drag. That’s not at all the case with Vista… I had it for a year before reformatting, and even then it was still running great.

18. I was using Linux (Kubuntu) as my primary OS when I bought a machine with Vista, which I only kept on for my girlfriend – I now use it exclusively. It is faster, smoother, more reliable, and better to use than any system I’ve ever used – even Mac or Linux. I’m not thrilled with the way explorer works (no folder up button?! I use alt+arrow up now). I have no idea where the complaints with this thing come from. People were right to complain when XP came out, but I don’t see it with Vista. I only have a couple of programs that didn’t work, but they all (but one) had free patches.

19. Vista doesn’t offering anything to justify using it. There are some nice new features in Vista but you can get most of these in XP with a couple of free/freeware programs.

To play games on Vista you need to uses 512MB more RAM then XP, I know you get DirectX® 10 with Vista but this feature is coming soon to XP as DirectX 9.0 L, and does Vista really justify an extra 1/2 a gig of RAM to play games? is the gaming experience better in Vista then XP?

Vista is fine for the first week, its only after a couple of weeks you start noticing things that just don’t work. One of these things is copying files to a removable drive, this is just painfully slow compared to XP and using bittorrent over wifi just doesn’t work. Period.

Then you get the problem of hardware, I have a printer and a webcam (granted an old webcam) that just don’t work in Vista. I was kind of lucky as these where the only things that didn’t work for me but I know of people that have had it a lot worse.

Also couple of my games didn’t work, the main one being Bioshock, this game worked fine on XP but the minute I tried to play it on Vista I started to get sound issues and couldn’t find a fix for it.

Vista was very stable and pretty fast for the first 3 days but the minute I added a couple of programs (and I mean only a couple) like a PDF reader, Nero, Firefox, and the programs that need to be installed to be able to view all the content on the web, Java, flash ect. Vista started to get very slow and painful to use.

I haven’t got the best PC in the world but its still a pretty good PC and got a Windows Experience Index Score of 4.1 but I did find Vista slow, I couldn’t imagine what its like to run Vista on a budget PC that I have seen being sold with Vista pre-installed, these budget PC’s have much lower specs then what I have and I find it very hard to believe that these PC’s could run Vista.

Over all Vista isn’t a bad OS and I could live with the problems that it has got, but why would I want to live with these problems when they don’t exists in XP? and Vista uses more system resources then XP and doesn’t really offer anything to justify it.

So why would anyone run an OS that requires more to run and has more problems then it predecessor and doesn’t really offer anything new apart from annoying the user with it’s User Account Control.

20. pinguy wrote:

I commented earlier that in my experience Vista is much more reliable than it’s predecessor, and that is why I run it. My hardware has no trouble running it and everything I use works great with it.

21. I have been using Vista since the first public beta and I had also used XP before SP1 and Xp was by far worse than Vista. In my opinion XP sucked until SP2 came out .Yes Vista had Some problems at first but they have since fixed them and will continue to fix any problems that arise.Some people say why didn’t they fix these problems before they released Vista . I would explain to then you can beta test all you want but until its out in the real world some problems do not show up .Also many of the hardware and software manufacturers dragged their feet and were not ready they had plenty of time to get ready but instead some of them chose to blame it on Microsoft there were plenty of manufacturers that were ready . Apple and their users who try and say their OS is perfect right out of the box are liars . If their operating system is so perfect then why do they need to put out all those patches for their operating system .
    Then there are the people who do not want do buy new hardware and are trying to run Vista on hardware that was barely able to run XP so they bash Vista. I build computers and I use Intel Quad cores and Dual cores with these CPU’s I can tell you Vista is lightning fast.

22. The UAC is there to do more than just annoy you its one of the reasons Vista is more secure than XP .Here is a link that explains what it does [technet2.microsoft.com]

23. There’s one thing that MS fails to address when it comes to Vista… the ridiculous pricing! It might be a great operating system… but it is also a rip-off.

24. garyvdh wrote:

I have to agree there, the price is quite high. You are better off getting the Action Pack from Microsoft for $3-400 and getting the OS, Office, and more. Vista is quite expensive, and I’m talking the business or ultimate versions here.

25. Dave wrote:
    garyvdh wrote:

You guys ever hear of OEM’S they are half the price of the full versions of Vista and every bit as good unless your to dumb to solve your own problems and need Microsoft’s support which is pretty much useless anyways . :)

26. garyvdh wrote:

From the retail perspective, yes. But I can’t say that I know of anyone that goes out and buys a retail copy of an operating system. Normally people just use what comes with their PC.

garyvdh wrote:

This is why I build my own and anybody can build a PC if I can I have no special training and I am not a genius either. Then you don’t have to buy these manufacturers under powered over priced machines you build your own I built 7 PC’s this year for friends and family and they all have Vista installed and working beautifully .

28. People are blaming Microsoft & Vista for problems that are beyond Microsoft’s control. If your brand x printer manufacturer did not put out drivers for your 10 year old printer you can not blame Microsoft.
    At some point you have to realize that your old software and hardware will reach the end of its useful life.
    I never hear anybody mention some of the bugs that actually do exist , most of them are not really a big deal and I am sure they will eventually be fixed .
    Then there are the people they want Vista but do not want to spend the money to upgrade or they try to run it on hardware that is not good enough so they Bash Vista .
    I have even heard people say they found Vista to hard to use give me a break it took me no time at all to find my way around There are some things they changed but once you get used to them its no big deal.
    People who barely no how to send an email are going to have problems with any OS Because they do not know what they are doing is that the OS’s fault I don’t think so .I am using Window Vista Ultimate and if it was as bad as people make it out to be I would not be using it .
    I will make this prediction when the next OS comes out Vista will be the greatest thing since apple pie and windows 7 or what ever they end up calling it will be garbage.I remember people saying all these same complaints about XP and now all of a sudden its the best OS ever . I also remember these so called tech journalist’s who by the way make a living bashing Microsoft and praising Apple the most proprietary computer company on the planet saying all the same things about Windows XP and making all the same doomsday predictions. There are still some calling Vista a dead operating system.How much you wanna bet they have not even used it since it was first released. If you have not tried it since service pack 1 you had better try it again you just might be surprised at how good it is now .

29. wow, you’re all microsoft whores.

vista is a slight improvement of XP – SLIGHT!
    it still has the same problems all MS operating systems have. AND for all of you blaming hardware manufacturers, and placing the blame on the users? not everyone can upgrade their computer, not many of us want to. as far as hardware manufacturers go, microsoft charges for their driver development pack, and “software signing” that they use, so why should I have to pay microsoft so that my hardware is supported, that’s called extortion.

microsoft will die off, i promise you. their days are numbered.

30. ejes wrote:
    wow, you’re all microsoft whores.

vista is a slight improvement of XP – SLIGHT!

microsoft will die off, i promise you. their days are numbered.

You may think some of us are “Microsoft whores” but as it turns out, Ryan and myself use both Mac OS X and Vista on our MacBook Pros every day. It sounds as though you haven’t given Vista a fair chance. Have you used it?

You mentioned that not everybody can upgrade and not many want to — Microsoft isn’t forcing anybody to upgrade. All they are saying is if people want an optimal experience with Vista, they should be running a computer with a certain set of requirements. In fact, the recommended system requirements is not all that different from what Apple wants users to have for Mac OS X. Those who don’t want to upgrade can happily continue to use whatever operating system it is that they are using.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion that Microsoft will die off, but they are a multi-billion dollar company that is still going strong. Personally, I don’t foresee them dying off any time soon.

31. I have to say I’m more than a little shocked at the overt Microsoft shilling going on here. 90% of the comments here are: “I love Vista and always have!” It seems to me, at best, those kinds of percentages are wildly optimistic.

I’ve personally used Vista on and off, since well before it was made available commercially. While it has certainly improved in the last 6-12 months, the simple reason that Microsoft is having the HUGE acceptance problems they are is because they didn’t deliver on the promises they made about this operating system until nearly a year after its release.

32. This article is full of fail.

33. • The “Mojave Experiment” involved 120 people. But the Web site shows 55 people saying nice things about Vista. What did the other 65 people think?

see this: [itmanagement.earthweb.com]+Wrong+With+Microsofts+Mojave+Experiment?.htm

34. It was rigged wrote:

see this: [itmanagement.earthweb.c]…..iment?.htm

If something is rigged, the results are determined beforehand. To our knowledge, Microsoft did not rig this experiment. They didn’t know what they were getting into before the started it, other than they knew that those who they selected had “unfavorable” views of Vista.

You said that only 55 people appeared, but it is actually even less when you take into account the people that appeared multiple times. Could it be that the people they included were the ones who did the best on camera? Microsoft admitted that not everybody was thrilled with “Mojave.” They announced that those who participated gave Vista an average rating of 8.5. At the end of the experiment, 89% of users “expressed satisfaction” with it. So we know that 11% of people didn’t express satisfaction because Microsoft provided this information.

I don’t believe that Microsoft did any wrong by not including every single clip they have. This is a marketing effort for them, of course they aren’t going to post clips of those who didn’t think favorably of Vista! Any other company would have done the same thing. Does this mean the experiment was rigged? No.

35. Vista is a complete piece of DUNG!! The word processor even shuts down with simple cut and paste operations. When using Internet Explorer, if one window is closed the operating system error comes up and closes all explorer windows! Don’t tell me how wonderful this sham of a system is! Mr. Gates retired by unleashing a complete piece of shit on the world!

36. Vista is without question the worst OS ever introduced I have tried and tried to go along with microsoft but COMPABILITY WITH OTHER SOFTWARE IS THE MAIN PROBLEM. Vista Sucks how about giving my money back or trade for copy’s of XP Pro.