Vista SP1

I know a large number of people have been holding out on upgrading to Vista until the first Service Pack is released, and that time might be coming before year’s end. According to unnamed sources that Mary Jo Foley has, a Beta version of Vista SP1 will be available mid-month…which is actually next week.

As expected this Service Pack should compensate for the search integration battle that Microsoft lost against Google. This would mean that Google could integrate their desktop search application into some of Vista’s search capabilities, which is something I don’t think Microsoft should have had to comply with since other operating systems don’t have to offer similar features. I guess that’s what you get for being the market leader.

So what is expected with SP1? When Vista was released Microsoft said that the first Service Pack to be released would not include a bunch of new features like the Windows XP Service Packs had. So here is what Mary Jo said we will see for Vista SP1:

• Performance tweaks lessening the amount of time it takes to copy files and shut down Vista machines
  • Improved transfer performance and decreased CPU utilization via support for SD Advanced Direct Memory Access (DMA)
  • Support for ExFat, the Windows file format for flash memory storage and other consumer devices
  • Improvements to BitLocker Drive Encryption to allow not just encryption of the whole Vista volume, but also locally created data volumes
  • The ability to boot Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) on an x64 machine
  • Improved success rate for firewalled MeetingSpace and Remote Assistance connections

I’m excited that they will be improving the time it takes to copy files because it can be excruciatingly slow at times. It’s mostly when copying large files where Vista has to calculate the long transfer time, but a fix for this is definitely needed. Now I am keeping my fingers crossed that Microsoft will add some additional features to UAC to make it a little less irritating. :)

The final version is then expected to be out by November, which gives Microsoft just a four-month window to work out all of the kinks. That’s about 10-months after the initial release of Vista, which sounds about right since XP SP1 was released 11-months after its debut.

Thanks to Richard over in the forum!

1. Am still not sure if i will get Vista.

Main Reason:

Windows XP does everything i need and uses less computer resources then Windows Vista. The only two OS i use and need are – XP and Linux (Mainly (X)(U)buntu) . As you only need a solid working operating system with out the bloat like Vista

2. you will Richard ;)
    i don’t need all the “bloat” either, but–and i’m far from being a M$ fan–once Vista will roll it’s going to rock, too, and it seems (to me) that it is the most stable Windows ever since NT4.
    BTW, i never touched XP but for checking it out. stayed with 2K up till today and never regretted but for some minor 32Bit advantages in XP.

3. So Ryan, does this mean that we all will be able to download and test the Vista SP1 Beta when it’s release next week? What are the details on that stuff??

4. I’m staying with XP Pro for a while too, it runs significantly faster then Vista does for me, and my X-Fi sound card actually works on it, not kinda sorta works like in Vista (not Vista’s fault I know but still). And it runs my games alot better and faster then Vista does too, wayyy too much background crap running on Vista to be considered a good gaming OS.

5. Excellent. Shut down times and the weird file-copying delays are my biggest gripes at the moment. :)

6. I wonder is sales of Vista will increase after the SP1 is shipped. A lot of business use the first service pack as a indicator that’s the OS is mature enough to integrate into their infrastructure.

7. Richard wrote:
    Am still not sure if i will get Vista.

Bioport made a good point. I think most people will end up making the switch to Vista at some point since it still has a decently long lifespan ahead of it (at least 2 or 3 years). So you may not be switching right now but you probably will down the road, unless you go fulltime to Linux.

bloodsugarwilksm wrote:

I’m guessing that it will be made available to the public because most of the service packs are, and given the short time frame that they have to test it I would think that they would want a lot of testers involved. So you can probably expect a download to be made available next week for the public.

xpgeek wrote:

Yeah, if I had hardware issues I wouldn’t have switched either. Vista surprisingly recognized and installed all of the drivers for my hardware without me having to do a single thing, and that is on all four (different) computers that I have.

CoryC wrote:

8. Don’t forget the screw-up that is ReadyBoost.

[bink.nu]

My next PC will be a Mac.

9. I agree with Richard. Vista has never been stable or productive for me. Vista is simply a resource hog!

10. Don’t forget the screw-up that is ReadyBoost.

[bink.nu]

How terrible for us all.

11. bloodsugarwilksm wrote:

Sweet!!

>I would imagine that the sales would increase quite a bit. I know a lot of people that have said they are holding off until SP1 gets released, and many businesses follow that route. Not to mention that if it gets released in November that will be a full year after the commercial release, which is the expected amount of time for most businesses to hold off on upgrading.

thing is that companies’ sys admins need time too, to get along with a new OS. you wouldn’t just throw it at the employees without having a reasonable set of answers for the inevitably coming.
    as far as i can see from here, for _all_ multimedia apps (games included here) Vista is not worth considering (so far). i also wonder if Redmond will have a chance against Apple in the multimedia pro segment because movie, audio, dtp and web production runs like hell on the duo core Intels.
    BTW, i can’t help it but smile when i read some of you guys mentioning their Linux machines as an alternative. c’mon… their lights shine as servers and you don’t want to miss them in R&D or for your LaTeX. but who’s seriously playing on a Linux box other than the guys on a CCC lan party?

13. bioport wrote:

Companies that I’ve talked with in the past will offer training support when upgrading to new operating systems, which is another reason why they hold off until SP1. By that time there are plenty of materials readily available on using the new operating system so they are able to answer most people’s questions.