ces 2009.png

Big news came Wednesday at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) when Steve Ballmer said that they would be releasing a copy of Windows 7 Beta today that the public can actually get their hands on. The Beta build leaked a few weeks prior to the official announcement, and there was a lot of excitement because early reports were saying that it was stable, efficient, and a huge improvement over Vista. Naturally people were wanting to kickoff their downloads early today because grabbing 2.4GB is not a 2-minute task.

Surprise! Right now the Windows 7 site has a message up that essentially says the demand was more than what they anticipated:

Thanks for your interest in the Windows 7 Beta. The volume has been phenomenal–we’re in the process of adding more servers to handle the demand. We’re sorry for the delay and we’ll re-post the Beta as soon as we can ensure a quality download experience.

Over at Lifehacker they managed to scrounge up some direct download links for both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, which is handy for those wanting to get the download going overnight. Here are the links:

The only problem now is waiting to get your hands on one of the 2.5 million product keys they are handing out for this round of testing. What boggles my mind is the fact that Microsoft isn’t letting people just sign-up so that they could receive the product key, and then let users download the OS from an alternative source if they don’t want to wait (*cough* BitTorrent). Heck, a lot of the people probably have the leaked copy installed and all they need is the product key to activate Windows 7 Beta.

P.S. This Beta release will expire on August 1st, 2009 even after entering the product key. If you don’t enter a product key you can still run Windows 7 Beta for 30 days.

There Are 12 Comments

  1. Here we go again. Microsoft just can’t seem to do anything right. Will Windows 7 be better than XP?

  2. I’ve been monkeying around with it while waiting for my chance at a product key. So far I love it! I installed it on an old laptop that was even having trouble running xp, and it runs great. I think they’ve done a much better job at scalability. Vista was designed to run “ON THE COMPUTER OF THE FUTURE” (echo echo echo), but if you had a normal computer like the rest of us you were screwed. This release looks to run great on both ends of the hardware scale. Yes the bells and whistles go up with computing power, but at least if I running it on a low power system I don’t have to worry about it being useless. The new libraries system is awesome, still not winfs but it’s getting there. The UAC has improved a lot. It doesn’t pop up as often and when it does there’s a better explination of what you’re giving permission for.

    I can’t wait for this to be released, I will be installing it on all my systems.

  3. Omar Upegui wrote:
    Here we go again. Microsoft just can’t seem to do anything right. Will Windows 7 be better than XP?

    So it’s Microsoft fault that half of the planet decided to download the beta? Did you say the same thing when Firefox 3 was released and it was almost impossible to download it?

  4. There is way to activate Windows 7 legally on Microsoft’s site. I did it.

  5. Storytellerofsci-fi

    This maybe a good day for you, check your Contact Us email Ryan and see what “someone was nice enough” to kindly send you. (Wink) Enjoy.

    Oh and by the way I willing to bet that they go way over the 2.5 million limit (they already suspended the limit for two weeks) by a “heck” of a lot. Never know what you can find just sitting around waiting on you.

  6. I went to the main site and got an activation key with no problem, so head on over there if you haven’t.

  7. Microsoft is passing out the same beta keys so here you go people happy Windows 7 beta testing…..duplicates of keys you can install the beta on as many machines as you like the keys should still activate that copy.

    Windows 7 Beta 64-bit Product Key

    7XRCQ-RPY28-YY9P8-R6HD8-84GH3
    JYDV8-H8VXG-74RPT-6BJPB-X42V4
    482XP-6J9WR-4JXT3-VBPP6-FQF4M
    JYDV8-H8VXG-74RPT-6BJPB-X42V4
    D9RHV-JG8XC-C77H2-3YF6D-RYRJ9

    Windows 7 Beta 32-bit Product Key

    6JKV2-QPB8H-RQ893-FW7TM-PBJ73
    TQ32R-WFBDM-GFHD2-QGVMH-3P9GC
    GG4MQ-MGK72-HVXFW-KHCRF-KW6KY
    4HJRK-X6Q28-HWRFY-WDYHJ-K8HDH
    QXV7B-K78W2-QGPR6-9FWH9-KGMM7

  8. Omar Upegui wrote:
    Here we go again. Microsoft just can’t seem to do anything right. Will Windows 7 be better than XP?

    Actually I have been testing it over for a day and half and I have to say yes it is better than XP, I am actually planning on replacing my XP Pro with Windows 7.

  9. Dying to get a copy of it,
    i have heard it boots up in just 7sec,
    probably faster then xp i think so,
    Thanks For The download link

  10. Omar Upegui wrote:
    Here we go again. Microsoft just can’t seem to do anything right. Will Windows 7 be better than XP?

    Well, I would definitely say yes only because I think Vista is already a lot better than XP. I use XP everyday at work, and there are a lot of things I hate not having at my disposal that are included in Vista. And I personally like the taskbar enhancements in Windows 7, so I’d say this is going to be a great release.

    Eric C Rusch Jr wrote:
    Vista was designed to run “ON THE COMPUTER OF THE FUTURE” (echo echo echo), but if you had a normal computer like the rest of us you were screwed.

    I wouldn’t say a computer of the future. I would just say a current computer. It ran fine for everyone I know who were buying new computers. The main problem was for people who had older computers that were several years old.

    Storytellerofsci-fi wrote:
    Oh and by the way I willing to bet that they go way over the 2.5 million limit (they already suspended the limit for two weeks) by a “heck” of a lot. Never know what you can find just sitting around waiting on you.

    I’m sure they will go way over that number as well. Most people, for no real reason, will probably try and get multiple product keys.

  11. I just got a copy of Windows 7 today. Will it still work after August 1, 2009 if I leave it alone for the next 6 months or so? I can’t install Windows 7 on this computer because it’s the family computer and I can’t use it on my old computer in my room because there’s not enough RAM and the computer is faulty. Needs to go into stand-by after booting so it won’t shut down suddenly.

  12. Doir wrote:
    I just got a copy of Windows 7 today. Will it still work after August 1, 2009 if I leave it alone for the next 6 months or so?

    No, that date is coded into the operating system. It’s not like a “8-month trial” or anything of that nature. When that day comes it will stop working.

Leave Your Comment


Message is the only required field.
Emails are not published.