Looks like I was right about there being a new Live Writer released today. The Live Writer blog just announced that Beta 3 has been made available, and it can be downloaded by anyone and everyone.
And let me tell you…this thing finally has XHTML support! You know that there was some divine intervention going on when someone over at Microsoft actually cares about standards. ;) Oh, and if you’re looking for the way to enable XHTML support it’s located in your Weblog Settings pictured above.
Don’t fret, there is more good stuff besides for the XHTML support:
- Insert videos using our new ‘Insert Video’ dialog
- Upload images to Picasaweb when publishing to your Blogger blog
- Publish XHTML-style markup
- Use Writer in 28 additional languages
- Print your posts
- Justify-align post text
- Better image handling (fewer blurry images)
- Resolved installation issues from last release
- Many other bug fixes and enhancements
Prior to this I had been using the newly free blog software Post2Blog for all of our postings. It was nice, but a little rough around the edges. Windows Live Writer has won my heart once again, and I’ve already made the switch back! Kudos to the Live Writer developers for making an indispensable app!
There are some things that I want to caution you with though:
- Even the standalone download uses the new unified installer, and it will automatically upgrade all of your existing Live software (Messenger, Mail, etc…).
- The new installer takes abnormally long to do its job. So get it started and then walk away for about 15 minutes.
- All of the Live apps are now installed in C:\Program Files\Windows Live\[AppName], but that shouldn’t break any of your Live Writer plugins.