Welcome to the WrapUp by CyberNet. This is a collection of news stories, downloads, and tips that we have collected over the last few days, but never got around to writing about. Don’t forget to send in your own tips, or just leave a comment on this page if you think you’ve got something we should include.
New SimCity to Offer Extreme Detail
I have always loved most of the SimCity series, and the one due out in February 2013 sounds pretty awesome. It will offer a very high level of detail including the ability to follow someone from their home to their job.
Chrome For Windows 8 Metro Coming Soon
If you thought IE was going to be the only Metro-style browser available when Windows 8 is released you’d be wrong. Google is already hard at work on the Metrofied version of Chrome and it will be available in their next dev channel release. Initial screenshots indicate that it will look generally the same as what you’re used to with the desktop version of the browser.
Google’s Maps Event
At the Google Maps event last week the search giant announced that they are taking street view to areas only accessible by foot, like the Grand Canyon, with the use of a specialized backpack. They are also working on a highly improved 3D view for their maps.
6.5M Hashed Passwords Reportedly Leaked from LinkedIn
LinkedIn had over 6.5 million hashed (but unsalted) passwords stolen last week. Since the passwords are hashed it makes it a little more difficult to crack unless you’re using a password that can be found in a dictionary. Either way, you should change your password as soon as possible.
Google Acquires Quickoffice
Continuing on their purchase spree last week Google also bought Quickoffice, who makes office-style apps (like Word, Excel, etc…) for mobile devices running both iOS and Android.
Google Buys Meebo for Around $100M
Google has bought Meebo… the company I’ve always known for their web-based cross-protocol chat capabilities. Apparently Google is looking at the team more for their development expertise on making toolbars that can be placed on sites, and could possibly have plans to create something similar for Google+.
Microsoft Unveils Xbox Music, Xbox Video, and Xbox SmartGlass
Last week at E3 Microsoft made a lot of announcements including replacing the Zune brand with Xbox (e.g. Zune Music is now Xbox Music). They also talked about Xbox SmartGlass, which will let you use phones and tablets (including iOS devices) to control the Xbox 360 along with doing a few other things.
Instapaper for Android Launches
The popular Instapaper service which used to clip things you want to read later is branching out to Android after having been on iOS for years.
Movies.io Launches with a Nice UI for Finding Movie Torrents
A new torrent site available at Movies.io provides a slick interface for finding torrents of your favorite movies.
- 7-Zip 9.27 Alpha [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Calibre 0.8.55 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Dropbox 1.5.0 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Firefox 13.0 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Firefox 14.0 Beta 6 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Foobar2000 1.1.13 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Google Chrome 20.0.1132.27 Beta [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Google Chrome 21.0.1163.0 Dev [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Miranda 0.9.50 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Miro 5.0.1 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- openSUSE 12.2 Beta 1 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Opera 12.00.1450 RC2 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Picasa 3.9.136.04 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Process Explorer 15.20 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- SeaMonkey 2.10 Beta 3 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Skype 18.104.22.168 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Thunderbird 13.0 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal) Alpha 1 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- uTorrent 22.214.171.124327 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- WinSCP 4.3.8 [Homepage] [Mirror]