Welcome to the WrapUp by CyberNet. This is a collection of news stories, downloads, and tips that we have collected over the last few days, but never got around to writing about. Don’t forget to send in your own tips, or just leave a comment on this page if you think you’ve got something we should include.

–News–

igoogle.jpgGoogle 2008 in Pictures
This has been a pretty big year for Google in terms of what they’ve managed to release. They got the G1 Android phone out, introduced Gmail Labs, and unveiled a few new services. Here’s a nice recap of what they’ve accomplished

iphone nano.jpgiPhone Nano Coming?
Rumors are once again floating around that an Apple is planning a release of an iPhone Nano. Word is that it will be essentially the same as the existing iPhone 3G, but have a slightly smaller screen. Duh!

mobile firefox.jpgMobile Firefox Chugs Along
Mozilla has released the second Alpha version of Mobile Firefox, and it has faster panning/zooming, improved responsiveness, and more.

pocket ie.jpgPocket IE 6 Hacked
Microsoft may have said that they don’t have plans on offering Pocket IE 6 to existing Windows Mobile users, but that hasn’t stopped the hackers. As of right now owners of the HTC Touch HD can download a customized ROM that runs IE 6. That might be a good sign that other phones will be following suit.

gmail documents.jpgTurn Emails into Documents with Gmail
Google has released yet another Gmail Labs feature that lets you turn any email into a document via Google Docs. This is very handy for when I want to archive an email onto my machine.

image search.jpgSearch Google Images by Style
Want to find specific types of photos? Google Image Search will now let you search according to clipart, line drawings, and more.

sony ces-1.jpgSony at CES
Gizmodo managed to scrounge up a photo of what Sony is shipping to CES in January 2009. No, this is not Santa’s workshop. Try to keep the drooling to a minimum.

vio.jpgThe Pirate Bay Releases Video Converter
The Pirate Bay is often know for the place where you download torrents, but they are also serving as the home of a free video converter. Not only can it make videos iPod or Blackberry compatible, but it also reduces their size by up to 20%.

google apps labs.jpgGoogle Apps Gets Labs
It’s taken a little while, but Google has unleashed the awesome Labs functionality to Google Apps users as well. I’m not sure if this is something they are rolling out, but it is available in both of my Google Apps accounts already.

joost logo.jpgJoost is Discontinues Software
To my surprise Joost has decided to discontinue their software application in favor of their new online video viewing experience. That way users across multiple platforms will all have the same viewing experience, and Joost doesn’t have to worry about maintaining multiple clients for the various operating systems. It’s a good idea, but it doesn’t really make the content any more appealing to me.

riaa.jpgRIAA Abandons Mass Lawsuits
The RIAA apparently can’t afford to keep suing people, and so they’ve decided to turn to ISP’s to help resolve music piracy. The details are still a bit sketchy, but from the sounds of it ISP’s will be sending out warnings to users pirating music in what appears to be a 3-strike policy. If you’re sent 2 or 3 warnings the ISP will either start to limit your usage or cut you off completely. Guess it’s better than getting sued.

–Tips, Tutorials, and Reviews–

alarm clock-1.jpgOnline Alarm Clocks
It’s not always possible to have an alarm clock in front of you, but if you have access to the web there are plenty of solutions available. Now you can get in those necessary naps while you’re at work, and wake up just before the boss walks by.

unchrome.jpgAnonymize Google Chrome
Sick of Google tracking you? UnChrome will remove the unique ID that Google uses to associate you with the Chrome installation.

safaristand.jpgSafariStand for the Safari Browser (Mac only)
Mac users who lean more towards using the built-in Safari browser might find that their experience is a little better with the free SafariStand application installed. It adds features like Cover Flow for history browsing, workspaces, automatic searches, and more.

songbird addons.jpgKiller Songbird Add-ons
If Songbird hasn’t won your heart over maybe that’s because you haven’t been taking advantage of some great add-ons that are available. These are a few you should definitely check out.

–Downloads–

1. Your Wrapups, like good wine, are getting better with time. Hey it rhymed! :) I liked the sections about the Internet alarms clocks. The greed naked one caught my attention, and will use it tomorrow to see how it works. I have problems getting up early in the morning.

Thanks for the software update tips as well.

2. A three-strikes-you’re-out policy would be terrible. Don’t you see what this means? This implies that your ISP has got to start tracking every move you make on the internet!

It won’t take long before some guy who works at an ISP loses a USB pendrive with user logs on it. Or, equally bad, they can sell this information to online advertising companies. There is no limit on what they can do as long as they say “We can sell your browsing history” somewhere in a 20-page contract that no-one ever reads because they trust their ISP fully.

THIS IS A THREAT TO BOTH OUR PRIVACY AND THE FREE INTERNET.

3. Pieter, while I agree for different reasons, which part of the wrapup are you responding to?

4. Change wrote:

“If you’re sent 2 or 3 warnings the ISP will either start to limit your usage or cut you off completely. Guess it’s better than getting sued.”

5. The new WLM is a Release Candidate not Beta 2 I believe.

6. Google Chrome 1.0.154.42 is a developer’s version, not a finished product. I thought you guys wanted to know. I prefer to wait until the official version comes out. Don’t like crashing and freezing versions.

7. I thought it came out of beta.

8. Pieter wrote:

Ahh the RIAA item.. yeah, France wants the same law *and* wants this in the whole EU. I don’t understand though.. Internet is almost like bread and water these days. Without internet some people don’t have access to their finances anymore for example. Or telephone. Besides, if one person in the household (or a visitor) has caused it, should the whole household be punished so severely? What if your wireless internet was “used” by someone you don’t know? It sounds okayish, but there are a lot of cases where a punishment like this is overly excessive.

On top of that, more filtering and scanning is necessary making both the internet access as well as police costs higher, effectively taking away costs from the RIAA and putting it in the hands of society. No wonder they are fine with this…

I’m not so sure if it’s better than suing.

9. I didn’t write that, it was a quote from the article. I’m just trying to make sure we’re on the same page. ;)

10. Omar Upegui wrote:
    Your Wrapups, like good wine, are getting better with time.

Thanks Omar! I’m so glad you like them. Since we are busy people now with fulltime jobs we are trying to use these WrapUp articles to cater to our readers who are probably busy people as well. We cover nearly a weeks worth of content in a single article, and have tried our best to make it easy to scan through.

Pieter wrote:

You don’t think they do that already? Plenty of my friends have received emails from their ISP’s saying that they are downing pirated software, movies, and more. So they are obviously watching already.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but are you saying “Ah well, since they track us already, they might as well implement a three strikes-you’re-out policy”?

12. Pieter wrote:

I know, so I referred to being on the same page and then responded to your comment :P :D

13. Pieter wrote:
    Ryan wrote:

Yes and no. I think for a lot of people who are affected by being sued will definitely benefit from this. Think about all of the parents that have no idea what their kids are doing on the computer. At least they will get a warning so they can start restricting the kid’s access to the machine instead of needing to fork out a few grand to settle a lawsuit. Sure I like to have my privacy, but I think this “strike policy” is better than getting hit with a lawsuit you can’t pay because you didn’t expect it.

Not sure if it’s better if it means not being able to access your finances, and especially stock options these days ;) I believe in France they’d disconnect you for a year. Imagine living without internet for a year these days.. Here you wouldn’t be able to transfer money (make payments), manage your insurances and stocks, do your taxes, get news about new laws, work at home, activate software, access “the cloud” etc. Most of it is internet-only now.

But even if it is better, it is still outrageous because this could happen to you *even* if nobody in your household has pirated (through a friend visiting or someone hacking your wireless network or pc). Or just because they make a mistake, as no judge is necessary for this ruling…