Welcome to the WrapUp by CyberNet. This is a collection of news stories, downloads, and tips that we have collected over the last few days, but never got around to writing about. Don’t forget to send in your own tips, or just leave a comment on this page if you think you’ve got something we should include.
Google Acquires Sparrow to Improve Gmail for Apple Devices
Google scooped up Sparrow for their excellent skills in making Gmail-focused mail apps on iOS and Mac.
Microsoft Lost Money For the First Time Ever
Microsoft purchased aQuantive back in 2007, and they wrote it down as a $6.2 billion loss for Q4 after it didn’t pan out the way they hoped. Overall they were in the red $473 million, which is the first time ever they didn’t pull out ahead for a quarter.
Raspbian Linux for Raspberry Pi
Raspbian Linux is the Debian-optimized version of the OS designed specifically for the Raspberry Pi, and as a result they are seeing a significant performance increase since it is able to take full advantage of the processor.
Windows 8 Launch Date
Microsoft is planning to RTM Windows 8 in the first week of August, and the retail launch will officially be on October 26th, 2012.
AT&T’s Shared Data Plans Coming Late August
AT&T users are going to have the option to share a data plan between multiple devices just like Verizon users, and for the most part the pricing is about the same.
Google’s Marissa Mayer the New Yahoo CEO
Last week news of Marissa Mayer leaving Google to accept the CEO position at Yahoo sparked a lot of interesting discussions around whether she will be able to revive the company.
Microsoft Office 2013 Announced
Microsoft finally took the covers off of Office 2013, and showed off what the Metro-inspired interface looks like. They also announced a new subscription model but no pricing has been made available yet.
–Tips, Tutorials, and Reviews–
Control Your Xbox from Your iPad
An update to Microsoft’s free My Xbox LIVE app has added the ability to navigate your Xbox using your iPad.
Test the Mobile Firefox OS on a Desktop Computer
A test release of Mozilla’s new mobile operating system, called Firefox OS, is available for download from their FTP server and can currently run on a desktop computer.
- Dexpot 1.6.0 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Firefox 14.0.1 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Foobar2000 1.1.14 Beta 1 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Google Chrome 21.0.1180.49 Beta [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Google Chrome 22.0.1207.1 Dev [Homepage] [Mirror]
- HandBrake 0.9.7 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- HostsMan 4.0.86 Beta 7 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Miranda 0.10.0 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Opera 12.50.1513 Beta [Homepage] [Mirror]
- PDF-XChange Viewer 2.5.204 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Process Explorer 15.22 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Skype 220.127.116.11 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Thunderbird 14.0 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- TweetDeck 1.5.0 [Homepage] [Mirror]
- Wine 1.5.9 Development [Homepage] [Mirror]